We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga to Tangier, Morocco - alternatives to Julia Travel?

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
reviews: 15
Malaga to Tangier, Morocco - alternatives to Julia Travel?

Hi

I'm looking at going for a day trip to Tangier from central Malaga. However, I've seen a lot of bad reviews about Julia Travel with regards to it taking up to 3-4 hours just to pick up other tourists from their hotels without any toilet breaks etc.

I was wondering if there is an alternative tour operator that could be recommended and just requires everyone to meet at a central location?

Thanks.

UK/Benalmadena
reviews: 1
1. Re: Malaga to Tangier, Morocco - alternatives to Julia Travel?

The two main tour operators for day trips are Costafrica and Viator. I haven't heard of Julia Travel but if you are being picked up from your hotel, it could well take a long time for pickups. I think you'll find they are all similar - it's a very long day. The only way to cut out the pickups is to go to Tarifa and buy a guided tour from there. I think you'll find it's more hassle though.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Malaga to Tangier, Morocco - alternatives to Julia Travel?

Thanks. Viator use Julia Travel, they're not the tour operator themselves (same as if I was to book it with British Airways whilst booking my flight etc).

I'll check out Costafrica.

Thanks again.

Port Saint Lucie...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
reviews: 12
3. Re: Malaga to Tangier, Morocco - alternatives to Julia Travel?

A couple of years ago, we made it down to Algecras and across from the docks you will see travel shops. They have tours of Tangiers you can buy for the day. We did some walk in the old area and then we went to a large spice shop and then a large carpet shop. The spice shop was great but not so the carpet shop.

We also had lunch on them in a restaurant with a belly dancer. On the whole we had lots of fun, but might be nice being on your own. The ferry ride over is also on them.

If you do this they will take your passport then you get it back at the end of the tour. You do have to get a early start so we spent the night in Algecras.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 58
4. Re: Malaga to Tangier, Morocco - alternatives to Julia Travel?

Not sure I'd want to hand my passport over to a tour operator Hubie!

There are lots of threads on the forums with reports on the day trips to Tangiers, not all of them complimentary.

Port Saint Lucie...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
reviews: 12
5. Re: Malaga to Tangier, Morocco - alternatives to Julia Travel?

He was the tour guild, and he stayed with us most of the time, we were not worried, it worked out fine. A guy from England would not give his up so he stayed at the border and was not able to do the tour. Hubie

Edited: 9:40 pm, February 16, 2013
Leicester, United...
reviews: 7
6. Re: Malaga to Tangier, Morocco - alternatives to Julia Travel?

a few hours isnt enough to do Tangier any justice why not stay the night there are plenty of inexpensive hotels I've been many times and its a pretty safe place if you use your head

7. Re: Malaga to Tangier, Morocco - alternatives to Julia Travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 20, 2014