We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which train station is which?

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 4
Which train station is which?

I have become confused by various comments - are these two stations in different locations: Maria Zambrano and Alameda-Centro? Am I right in thinking that Alamedo is the station to go to for a train to the airport? I am trying to decide on a hotel as close as possible to the airport station to help us cope with a late night arrival and a departure the next day.

Torremolinos, Spain
1. Re: Which train station is which?

Hi there

Yes you are correct. Maria Zambrano is the City Centre station for Malaga.

The station for the Airport is called Aeropuerto :) Here is the route on that C1 service:

benalmadena-arroyo.com/train-timetable.php

CB

Edited: 6:14 am, February 14, 2013
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
reviews: 2,761
2. Re: Which train station is which?

Going:

You can go to the airport from both stations. The Malaga Centro-Alameda Station is closer to downtown.

Brisbane, Australia
3. Re: Which train station is which?

Thanks for those quick responses. So, I have two locations to look for hotels - adjacent to Alameda or adjacent to Zambrano?

I did find this in the meantime:

While Malaga Centro-Alameda is the final station on the line, and the shortest walking distance from the city centre, Maria Zambrano is actually the major station in the city with shops, food outlets and luggage storage. Maria Zambrano is the penultimate station on the line, around 3 minutes along the line from Malaga Centro-Alameda.

I'll take a look at that map CB.

some descriptions of how to get to the station seem unbelievably complicated with the impression that entrances are hidden and at the end of torturous routes. Surely it can't be that hard!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 5
4. Re: Which train station is which?

Centro-Álameda is in the city centre, with lots of well-placed hotels nearby.

Maria Zambrano has an attached shopping centre with food court but like all these places that means bland brand central (and expensive). To get the feel of real Málaga stay near Centro-Álameda.

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: Which train station is which?

Thanks NSG - that's the other part of the issue addressed. I have two hotels in my sights: Barcelo and Silken Puerta. And Monte Malaga has just come up.

The issue for us is we arrive after midnight - want to sleep in - and after a walk around, get back out to the airport by train (more reliable than bus) for a 1800hrs flight. It would be good to leave our bags at a hotel within easy reach of the station.

I will now push on - but comments on that strategy would be welcome.

Thanks again to you all for your responses. Where would we be......

Edited: 6:46 am, February 14, 2013
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 5
6. Re: Which train station is which?

The distances aren't great tbh, the two stations are only ten minutes walk apart, but if you're having a good wander around Málaga the following day then staying in the centre would probably be easiest.

Note: a midnight arrival doesn't mean everything will be shut - this is Andalucía, midnight is about the time people start going out for a drink or two!

Brisbane, Australia
7. Re: Which train station is which?

All done - thanks everyone. The centre it is. And we will hit the town we get in!!

Midlands
reviews: 1
8. Re: Which train station is which?

GRA, i would check with hotel if they offer the facility for you to leave your bags there, its normally check-out 10-11am, but some do have a room for luggage storage..Enjoy your visit :-))

Arroyo de la Miel...
reviews: 65
9. Re: Which train station is which?

There is a left luggage facility at Maria Zambrano, but I am sure the hotel will have facilities too.

The Alameda Centro station is underground so NOT immediately visible at surface level, which is why some posters directions may appear confusing.

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
reviews: 29
10. Re: Which train station is which?

Just remember the trains finish before midnight. In addition the airport train runs underground at mario Zambrano, dont enter the main concourse for the airport train, the platforms are underground by the side enterence to the station, as you exit for the Silken or barcelo hotels.

As Mantalk states the Alameda Centro station is also underground with a number of enterences, if arriving in the week before easter access to the station can be difficult due to the huge crowds watching the parades.

Get answers to your questions about Malaga