We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Devon
reviews: 3
Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

Apologies if this has been done before, but I'm finding the pricing for car hire from Malaga in mid-Feb 2013 very confusing. The main thing is that the broker type sites produce very low prices (e.g. £30-£40 for 8 days all in for a smallish car), but more direct sites spit out a price which is much higher, and to be honest, more like what I expected to pay (e.g., £100/week). It's been a few years since we hired a car from Malaga, and while the low headline prices are gratifying, i am very suspicious that we are going to be hit with numerous surcharges and extras which may mean the higher headline priced deals might be more suitable.

I tried Malagacar.com which has been well reviewed and offered a middling price of 55 euros, only to discover when the voucher arrived that all the extras basically doubled the price. Meanwhile Helle Hollis (again well reviewed) was closer to £150 on the quote.

Any suggestions about which of the companies can be trusted and is reliable, even if not the cheapest, will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Romford, United...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

Any car hire company which is very cheap will hit you with the full > empty petrol scam.Order a small car and the will kindly upgrade to a bigger car and hit you with a 90 euro petrol charge,then will the push the extra insurance to cover tyres etc typically 4-6 Euros a day most companies will push this insurance.

Helle Hollis do full tank and return full, I always use Malagacar,they do half empty which is not to bad,

Avoid Record they are a nightmare.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 53
2. Re: Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

If you do a search on the main Costa Del Sol forum you will find lots of threads on car hire with some horror stories and some good reviews too.

We've used auto-europe and others on here recommend Do You Spain, Bravo and Helle Hollis. Its worth reading the threads if you can before you book and make sure that you read all the terms and conditions of the actual car hire company carefully before you finally book.

We're about to book a car for two weeks in September and will be doing a thorough search and check them all.

UK/Benalmadena
reviews: 1
3. Re: Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

You are hiring at the cheapest time of year so should be able to get a good deal. As well as the the car hire companies that CJB has recommended you could also try Malagacarhire.com If you search again with Helle Hollis, include the code H6486 to get another 15% off the price. Keep to the smallest car if you don't need bigger as the petrol charge will be cheaper. To be honest, there often isn't much in it this time of year: full/full - more expensive but you don't pay for fuel, full/empty - you wil pay about 60€ extra for fuel.

Arroyo de la Miel...
reviews: 47
4. Re: Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

As Alinbenalmadena says, if you are likely to use most of a tank of fuel the cheaper ones could work out for you. Helle hoollis is my preferres supplier, never the cheapest even with the above discount code, but service is really good. They have prequoted me €103 for a tank of fuel for a Peugeot 307 in May. Not too worried as i will refill at local pump prices and receive a full refund from HH.

I also buy my excess cover insurance before we travel @ £2.99 per day, so no worries and no additional cost.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
5. Re: Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

MT, I'm sure I've asked this before but having a senior moment! Does your UK excess cover include the tyres, underneath the car, windscreens etc that hire companies try to sell you extra insurance for.

UK/Benalmadena
6. Re: Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

CJB, I also take out yearly car hire excess cover. It covers for everything you need. You do have to pay and then claim from the company, but it is far cheaper at £50 per year than taking the car hire company's excess. I use http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

Arroyo de la Miel...
reviews: 47
7. Re: Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

I use http://www.carhire-excess-insurance.com Alin, it covers for mis-fuelling and loss of keys too. and is from £1.85 per day, not as my above post.

Edited: 6:00 am, January 17, 2013
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
8. Re: Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

Thanks, going to have a look at them. Currently looking at hire through all the usual brokers and finding that some of them offer the excess free offer but then you have to bring the car back empty! What they give with one hand they take with the other!

Even Auto-europe who we used last year and got Avis on a brilliant deal, are a lot more expensive and non of the cars offered were Avis ones. I looked on the Avis website and they are 50% dearer than AE! Its going to take some time looking at them all and the T&Cs!

Devon
reviews: 3
9. Re: Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

Thanks for those helpful responses. I don't suppose you can apply a rule of thumb and conclude if they are really cheap then there's going to be a host of hidden rip off charges, but none if they are expensive...

UK/Benalmadena
10. Re: Car rental pricing at Malaga airport

CJB, don't forget to try Malagacarhire.com this time. I got a couple of really good deals for later in the year.