We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marbesol car hire

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 1
marbesol car hire

Hi Has anyone else had a bad experience with this company. They took a £800 deposit from my Visa card and failed to credit it back to my card. Been over two weeks and still no sign. Sounds like a scam to me at the very least so they can earn a bit of interest. If I book a hotel they will put a hold on funds from your Visa but never heard of anyone actually taking the money. I have contacted the agent and they have said they will refund.

27 replies to this topic
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 50
1. Re: marbesol car hire

There are a lot of threads devoted to Marbesol. Its certainly not a company that many people would recommend.

Portrush
reviews: 46
2. Re: marbesol car hire

Stay well clear cars are a mess in fact dangerous. They took my deposit of 800 euro from my card then when I returned the car they refunded but at a different exchange rate costing me £65 what a scam. Spoke to the agent who referred me to these clowns and it was refunded.

They charge for a full tank of fuel which on a 3 day rental you will never use

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 4
3. Re: marbesol car hire

Marbesol Car Hire - Warning! This company should be closed down. Judging by the majority of reviews and my personal experience. They tend to be rude, impatient, took a €800 deposit and did not return it (although my car was returned without any additional faults). The car had 74,000Km full of dents and scratches (I had to point out 5 additional points they had not noticed) and more importantly the car was dangerous. It constantly slipped out of 2nd gear, several instruments not working. It's a matter of time before somebody gets hurt - so WARNING please choose a different car hire company. And another thing they charged me for a half-tank of petrol before I got into the car - the price was about 20% more than in a garage - thats another scam

I booked the car through Argus Car Hire (Car Trawler). Unfortunately it's only when you complete the booking do you know which car hire company you're going to - so another WARNING - if you fear getting Marbesol then don't use Argus Car Hire. When I complained to them afterwards I could only do so by email (although they did give me a phone number nobody answers it). I guess Argus Car Hire may be OK but not until they get rid of Marbesol from their search. My friends that I visited had hired two cars during the same period, through Argus and they were LUCKY! They got their car (very well priced - better than Marbesol) through a company called GOLD. Both cars were BRAND NEW - Yes BRAND NEW - Lucky people!!

reviews: 3
4. Re: marbesol car hire

I have had exactly the same experience this february. This seems to be common practice. I will never use them again

Dublin, Ireland
5. Re: marbesol car hire

Looking into the future my concern is that Argus (aka Car trawler) is the main "broker" I have used, however you won't know that you've hired a car from Marbesol (i.e. received the booby prize) until you've completed your payment. Argus is complicit on the basis they continue to keep Marbesol on their database, without apparently reading the many complaints. Argus could be good, should be good, but their people (other than booking agents) refuse to talk to anybody and the Customer Care phone number they supply - well nobody answers that, ever!

Edited: 4:49 pm, March 12, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
6. Re: marbesol car hire

I just checked the Argus website today and the *good news* is that you can see which car hire company you're booking with. So you can totally **AVOID** Marbasol and their dangerous cars, rude staff and deposit retention policy. A friend tried Gold Car on two separate occasions and were very happy with the car and the service.

reviews: 35
7. Re: marbesol car hire

Rented from 9th. To 14th. March cost €27. After queing for 30 minutesI was given 2 choices; buy a Insurance pack for €60 and return full or (2) pay €127 for full tank and return empty and €800 deposit !

I reckoned I would fill 2 cars for €127 so I bought the pack and filled car for €65 from empty ! I hired Satnav and it was a horrible machine. I complained and got my refund no problem. I might use them again if pushed.

Bolton
8. Re: marbesol car hire

We were the victims of another scam of theirs. We had our car broken into- smashed a quarterlight. We had taken out the full extra damage waiver insurance. When we returned the car, the woman in the office turned over the rental agreement and pointed out a clause in the faintest, smallest font small print you've ever seen. This said that whilst this insurance covers you for the cost of repairs, you are still liable for the hire costs while the vehicle is being repaired. She charged us 1 day's extra hire cost. If we had been involved in a major smash I reckon this could easily have cost over 1000 euros. I made my disgust clear, but she was a hard-faced woman.

On a separate note, we also had to point out dings that they had "accidentally" missed, and there was a red warning light on the whole time that they had tried to obscure with black sticky tape.

FOR GOODNESS SAKE DON'T USE THIS LOT OF COWBOYS.

reviews: 2
9. Re: marbesol car hire

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!!! We got stung by double charge on petrol, a lesser car than we had booked and are also waiting for the return of our E800. Absolute cowboys. If this company was trading in the UK, they would have been closed down by now.

London, United...
reviews: 61
10. Re: marbesol car hire

Like so many others, we recently hired a car from Marbesol via Argus car hire. Upon arrival, Marbesol took a deposit of €800 and then refunded it back after the hire at a massively different exchange rate. A rental that was quoted to cost me €65 has ended up costing me £127.

I am raising the matter through my credit company and will never use Marbesol again.

Reply to: marbesol car hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted