We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay mid december for 5 nights

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 1
where to stay mid december for 5 nights

we are in the Malaga area mid-december.

we like beach, and activities. like nice resort type vacations. please suggest which might be the best area to stay and a couple of good hotel alternatives. thank you.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,416
1. Re: where to stay mid december for 5 nights

You can stay in Malaga City itself. The Malagueta Beach is a 10 minute walk from downtown. You will be able to see ouf fabulous Christmas lights, eat at many good restaurants and tapas bars, and do some sophisticated shopping. Besides that we have many museums to keep you occupied.

Good hotels:

AC Malaga Palacio

Molina Lario

Don Curro

Read the top questions on the right panel.

usa
2. Re: where to stay mid december for 5 nights

Malaga city is pretty,

a. but would staying in a beach area be more relaxing?

b. one of the days we plan on going to alhambra. would make sense to split the vacation such that we are 3 nights in malaga and 2 nights in any spanish village near alahambra? or any where else? we do want to experience local culture. thank you.

Vinuela, Spain
reviews: 35
3. Re: where to stay mid december for 5 nights

If you want to experience local culture then Malaga city would be my suggestion too - we are going there for 3 nights next Weekend.

The city is a great transport hub so frequent buses to Granada for your Alhambra visit and there are beaches just a short walk from the old city centre. Resorts such as Torremolinos are only a short bus or train ride.

You need to book tickets for the Alhambra a.s.a.p. ticketmaster.es/nav/…

Edited: 12:54 am, December 03, 2012
usa
4. Re: where to stay mid december for 5 nights

now going to Alahambra and other places :

can we rent a car and drive? or is that not recommended?

thanks.

Arroyo de la Miel...
reviews: 47
5. Re: where to stay mid december for 5 nights

Parking is expensive in both Malaga and Granada. But the area is very driveable. Having a car gives you the flexibility to be able to see far more than relying on public transport. And puts you in control of your intinerary.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 42
6. Re: where to stay mid december for 5 nights

As a DE for a beach area I can only say I would stay in Malaga tat the taime. It is unlikely you would be able to use the beach and recently the wind coming off the snow covered mountains has made even walking along the paseo a scarf and well wrapped up experience. If you are lucky and we have a mini heatwave then La Malagueta is fine and Torremolinos only 20 minutes on the train.

To see Granada and Cordoba- and you should see Cordoba- you would need a day each, preferably two for Granada, so a five day stay doesn't leave much else to do without getting frantic. For Granada you need to catch the bus( 1 and half hours through the Montes de Malaga) but I think I would go on a Travel agents organised trip for the Alhambra if you are only going to Granada for one day and for Cordoba you can use the Avant or AVE which is a great experience on its own.

You can have a wonderfully relaxing time wandering around Malaga, stopping for coffee/tapas/lunch etc and seeing the sights for the rest of your stay.

I would suggest investigating the Barcelo if you are going to explore the area as it is built at the Railway/Bus station and not far to walk into Malaga centre but like most locals I don't stay in the hotels so the review section is likely to be more helpful.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
reviews: 23
7. Re: where to stay mid december for 5 nights

if you have a driving license from the USA, you'll need an IDP to drive in most of Europe. There is no problem in renting a car, but parking in cities can be expensive and not easy to find.

Mid-december is not beach time in Malaga or anywhere else in continental Europe for that matter, but there are lots of things to do besides the beach.

If you want beach in Spain in december I think the only possibility is Canary Islands.

usa
8. Re: where to stay mid december for 5 nights

thank you everybody. follow up query:

a. we are travelling with a small kid who doesn't like walking much, hence we will end up stroller quite a bit. hence we were thinking of renting a car. however after reading about parking fees i'm in two minds.

b. If we stay in Malaga and do a day trip to Granada and a day trip to Cordoba is that sufficient? or should we plan on spending a night in Granada/Cordoba each? Please also comment on the cold weather in Granada.

Thank you!

usa
9. Re: where to stay mid december for 5 nights

thanks for suggestion on Barcelo. we will look into it.

how is Vincci-Seleccion-Posada-del-Patio in terms of connectivity if we don't rent a car? thank you.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 42
10. Re: where to stay mid december for 5 nights

The temperature in Granada this week is about 10 to 14C at night -1 to 3 .

normally i would suggest a night in Granada and a day trip to Cordoba but you have added in the toddler now. Lots of walking in Granada and the Alhambra is an uphill walk to the Generalife. You might find snow or frost on the ground.

Malaga is a flat city, a stroller won't present problems but a lot of it may not appeal to a toddler being galleries and museums and churches. . as are other Andalucian cities. Actually it is quite difficult to think of things they may like at this time of the year. my great neice was very taken with the big fish in the harbour at Fuengirola and could have spent much longer than her parents looking at them. The traditional English pantomime 'Cinderella' opens at the Salon Varietes Theatre in Fuengirola on the 20th if you are still around. There is an excellent Bioparc (zoo) in Fuengirola too.

I'm struggling now.