We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach town near Malaga for a week

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corona, California
reviews: 1
Beach town near Malaga for a week

We are planning a week or more in late April and want to stay in a beach town near Malaga. We plan on touring in different directions each day and spending the evenings in the beach town. So far, Benny Malaga has suggested Nerja and others have suggested Torremolinos. Any input from others would be appreciated.

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
reviews: 30
1. Re: Beach town near Malaga for a week

If you wish to visit the major sites Nerja is not a good location. Most major sites are west or north of Malaga with the exception of Granada, therefore, you add 2 hours a day just to get to Malaga from Nerja.

In addition local transport connections are far better in the Malaga area.

Anywhere east of Malaga down to marbella are ideal for travel to visit, Seville, Ronda, Cordoba, Mijas, Anterquera etc.

For a very Spanish resort look at the Carihuela or more British resorts Benalmadena or Fuengirola.

LONDON
2. Re: Beach town near Malaga for a week

Nerja is full of English people who pronounce it Nerrrkka.

Probably about the furthest from both autovias that lead to Granada.

I think nearer Malaga would be better although not as pretty as the stuff further to the east.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
reviews: 38
3. Re: Beach town near Malaga for a week

Why not consider Malaga City. It is the main train and bus station hub for days out in either direction.

In the evenings Malaga does have beaches to sit by or the very impressive Muelle Uno (Port 1), new port area with nice shops,also restaurants to sit and people and boat watch.

April can still be a bit cool in the evenings for sitting on a beach.

Arroyo de la Miel...
reviews: 58
4. Re: Beach town near Malaga for a week

For my money, any of the towns on the local train line. So from Fuengirola, Benalmadena, Torremolinos and Malaga itself.

Corona, California
5. Re: Beach town near Malaga for a week

Thanks to all. This is very helpful.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
6. Re: Beach town near Malaga for a week

It really depends where you have already visited and where you want to tour, and most importantly if you will have a car.

The previous recommendations are good for the 'major' tourist pulls west of Malaga and if you will need to rely on public transport.

However if you have a car there are a great many interesting drives from Nerja that many appreciate. Granada is just as easy as from Malaga, the white vilages in the almijaras, east to Salobrena passes some nice beach towns and north from La Heradura are more mountain villages. Maro and Frigiliana on the doorstep of Nerja, Competa not far, more if you enjoy mountain roads, Torrox and Torre De Mar close just west..

My two favourite bases on the CDS are Malaga city and Nerja, depending on what sort of environment you want to stay in and where you want to visit.

First I'd choose what I want to see inmy 'tour' and if I will have a car before deciding on the best base.

Stoofer

Corona, California
7. Re: Beach town near Malaga for a week

Thanks stoofer. Some good ideas. Haven't decided on car versus train/bus. We really enjoy the trains in Europe since the ones in US are so bad. Might do a combination. Definitely taking the train from Barcelona to Malaga. Hoping for nice beach weather last week in April or first week in May.

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
reviews: 30
8. Re: Beach town near Malaga for a week

If you wish to use the train obviously Nerja cant be on your list as it has no rail links at all and very limited bus services to the major sites, most of the areas listed by Stooferuk will be difficult to visit using public transport from Nerja, his list really is limited to a visit using a car.

You will really enjoy the train journey down from barcelona. If you have not booked yet can I suggest you do Barcelona/Madrid and spend a few nights in madrid a great city to visit, then do the two and half hour train journey to Malaga. For your information the discounted tickets for AVE train travel are issued 62 days before travel and not trying to be rude but if you are an oldie like me (over 60), you can pay 5 euro's for an over 60's card, which gives you further discount on rail travel.

Corona, California
9. Re: Beach town near Malaga for a week

Thanks Ian. Yes we are over 60 and We bought that senior card last year when in Barcelona. How long is it good? Madrid is not a bad idea but how would the weather be in late April? Our thought was to take the train about half way along the Med. and just stop in some small beach town for a couple of days then on to Malaga.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
10. Re: Beach town near Malaga for a week

Ian,

The O.P is undecided on car and is asking for advice, after agreeing with the previous comments regarding Malaga I clearly started my comments on Nerja with "However if you have a car......'.

To be clear, one of the main attractions of places I've mentioned to explore from Nerja by car is far fewer visitors, less cultural dilution and some great scenery, this is typically due to lack of public transport from any airport and is what many seek when touring. As I said, it depends what the O.P. wants to tour and with what mode of transport, every base has it's own merits.

Stoofer

Edited: 12:51 pm, November 26, 2012