We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Malaga for us

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Midlands
reviews: 67
Is Malaga for us

Thinking of goint to Malaga early December. A few questions

IS it a noisy, rowdy place. It did not have a good reputation in the past, or is that Malaga province with places such as Torrelominos?

We would like to stay in the old town if poss, any suggestions, hotel, BB or self catering, don't mind.

Is there plenty to see and do.

Any suggestions for day trips.

I know weather is an old chestnut but temperatures, type of clothing to bring would be helpful.

Thank you.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,417
1. Re: Is Malaga for us

West:

Malaga City is not a rowdy place. It is a beautiful town that is 100% Spanish. Most of the foreign tourists go to the western Costa del Sol. We have plenty of museums, monuments, and good restaurants and tapas places. We have sophisticated shopping. Our fabulous Christmas lights go on Dec. 1 and last until Jan. 6.

A jacket is needed for December. Most days we have glorious sunshine.

A good place to go on a day trip is Ronda.

Read the top questions in this forum on the right panel.

Vinuela, Spain
reviews: 35
2. Re: Is Malaga for us

Malaga city is a wonderful place to visit.

Malaga City has wonderful architecture, more museums than you could ever visit in one trip, some of the best Tapas Bars and restaurants you will find anywhere, great shopping, beaches just a few minutes walk from the old city, a great new Port shopping/dining area and lovely people. The Christmas Lights are stunning and there is a Christmas Market too.

For a good price Family run hotel right in the old city look at the Don Curro.

I am sure you would have a great trip.

By the way, Torremolinos is nothing like the image the UK press give it - not at all to be compared with Benidorm or Magalluf!

Edited: 3:46 am, November 15, 2012
Hertfordshire
3. Re: Is Malaga for us

The simple answer is yes, Malaga is perfect as Benny and the others have suggested.

Yes there are touristy areas along the coast but there are also gems providing a true Spanish experience. This site will help you find out where you want to be.

I may be biased but in my opinion you cannot go wrong with Malaga!! What a city.

Tom

Oswestry, United...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Is Malaga for us

I have met many over the years who say or believe they have been to Malaga. It usually turns out they have been through the airport and to stay somewhere on the hundred miles or so of the Costa del Sol. The city is not the Costa.

Hertfordshire
5. Re: Is Malaga for us

Your right wombatt people don't even know it exists!!

Still it does mean that it stays really Spanish and superb for all of us who visit.

I wish I was out there now!

Tom

cordoba, spain
reviews: 17
6. Re: Is Malaga for us

With a bit of luck, you are going to know the city with Christmas ambiance: lights, shops...

I couldn't imagine a better time to know such a beautiful town.

Hertfordshire
7. Re: Is Malaga for us

Christmas time in Malaga is fantastic! I work in a family business and we normal have our "work do" out there for a few days to see the lights and poinsettias

Any excuse...

Tom

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,417
8. Re: Is Malaga for us

Speaking about chestnuts, there are stands all over the city with nuts being roasted slowly.

Vinuela, Spain
reviews: 35
9. Re: Is Malaga for us

Can´t wait for our 3 night pre-Christmas stay in Malaga next month - I can already taste those Chestnuts Benny!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 42
10. Re: Is Malaga for us

Endorse practically everything here. I love Malaga and some well travelled friends rate it the best city in Spain.

My only quibble is you asked about trips and the only recommendation is Ronda which would be down my list. From Malaga it is easy to get to Granada, an hour and a half on the bus and Cordoba, an hour on the train. both are way way more worth visiting than Ronda.

Also quite close is Antequera and along the coast one way Nerja and the other Torremolinos and Fuengirola (if only to check out how much nonsense is talked and written about the Costa del Sol). Gibraltar is much despised by those who have been frequent visitors here but if you are a first timer I think it better than Ronda.

You don't say how long you are in Malaga but there is a lot to be getting on with, without inland Andalucia to tempt you.