We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Benalmadena or Torremolinos

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waterford...
Benalmadena or Torremolinos

Hi,

I'm torn between these two places to go on holidays at the end of may next year.

I'm picking between Benalmadena and Torrermolinos in the hope to find the best option for a young couple, but away from a huge amount of partying, and close to the beach and shops. With activities close by!

Any opinions on either of these two places would be great!

Thank you!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 41
1. Re: Benalmadena or Torremolinos

If you head for the Carihuela side of the promontory, Torremolinos blends seamlessly into Benalmadena and the nearer you are to the port the more likely you are to find the partying crowd.

It is never very clear what people mean by close to the shops. if you mean the smaller , more individual shops then Carihuela through to the port is the best bet, although these days the shops are more likely to be straight from the Chinese warehouses in Guardalhorce trading estate. For the better shops it is train or bus to Plaza mayor or Malaga.

Beach activities happen all along the coast from Benalmadena to Los Alamos, for other activities (golf, water parks, cable cars, tourist visits) you have to travel and it doesn't make much difference where you stay.

The people I meet in town who live along the coast say Benalmadena is more English, Carihuela very Dutch but with a lot of English too and the other side of the headland more Spanish. Although I notice lots of English/Irish when I walk along there.

West Des Moines...
2. Re: Benalmadena or Torremolinos

I am new to this forum so please excuse my ignorance. I am planning a trip to Malaga in January 2013. I am thinking of renting an apartment or villa but dont know where the ideal ocations would be. I wouldlike to be close to public transportation. Can anyone help?

Wolverhampton...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Benalmadena or Torremolinos

I would second the first post ...look for la Carihuela area ..or around the Hotel Sol Aloha Puerto ...best of both worlds

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 50
4. Re: Benalmadena or Torremolinos

Casey - it might be better to start a separate thread for your question. If you can let us know what you like to do, and how many in of you there will be, then we will be able to advise better.

Malaga Province is a large area which covers coast and mountain areas and it has a lot to offer visitors so you won't be disappointed with the area.

West Des Moines...
5. Re: Benalmadena or Torremolinos

Thanks with the quick reply. I really am new to this so not certain about "threads". I am planning to spend 4 weeks in Malaga. dec 25 to Jan 24. We are a couple. We usually like to immerse ourselves in the culture of the places we go to. I plan to visit Cordoba, granada, Seville and maybe Alicante and also go to morrocco for about a week. I plan to rent an apartment and there are many but I am at a disadvantage as I have never been there so cant tell location, proximity to public transport and such. We dont really do "night life" stuff but like to go everywhere and see everything we can in the time allowed us. Thanks again.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 50
6. Re: Benalmadena or Torremolinos

Hi Casey, a thread is what is started when someone asks a totally new question of their own rather than asking a question in an existing thread as you have done. Its not a problem, but sometimes it means that new posters find their questions get lost amongst the replies for the original post.

Alicante is around a 6 hour drive from Malaga City but Cordoba, Granada and Seville are closer. You'd probably do better to stay in Malaga City, although if you were thinking of hiring a car it is difficult and expensive to park there. However, it is an amazing city and although you may not be interested in the nightlife, you will not be short of wonderful places to eat and drink with a proper Spanish feel.

Public transport is great, there are trains and buses from the airport to Malaga City and from Malaga you can get almost anywhere along the coast by public transport.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
reviews: 4
7. Re: Benalmadena or Torremolinos

Hello.

You really want to open a new thread, that will help you get more responses to your query.

Look for apartments in Málaga City centre. From there you can do lots of visits to nearby towns and cities. Unfortunately these do not include Alicante which is rather far away. You better arrange an overnight or even two nights if you really want to visit Alicante.

Glasgow
reviews: 124
8. Re: Benalmadena or Torremolinos

In reply to the first post, I agree with the suggestion of La Carihuela. From here, both areas are within walking distance. The marina would suit a younger couple (towards Benalmadena) and there is a good range of bars/ restaurants in Torremolinos. I would define the areas as this: all out British, party time, football tops and fish and chips would be Benalmadena. Multi cultural, leaning towards more Spanish with proper tapas bars, restaurants and several good shops is Torremolinos.

Torremolinos is undergoing a big renaissance at the moment, and having been a regular for the past decade, it is looking impressive.

La Carihuela is laid back in its pace and suits all ages. The easterly side is more Spanish fishing village (of old) and the westerly side leans more to the British/ Irish holiday-maker.

There are also excellent bus links joining up all areas along the main road, most journeys around a euro+. You could visit both in a morning and decide for next time!

Hope this helps.

Glasgow
reviews: 124
9. Re: Benalmadena or Torremolinos

Casey, last year we hired a car straight from Malaga airport and drove straight to Cordoba (about a two and half hour drive) then drove across to Jaen and down to Granada. The roads were quiet and easy to navigate. Car hire for 5 days was around 60€.

I have also taken the train from Malaga to Seville, which was effortless, and the bus from Malaga to Granada, again hassel free. Tickets can be booked online and retrieved from the printout machines at the station. Check out RENFE. Good bus and new rail links make departing the airport very easy.

Morocco should not be a problem too if you are in the Malaga area, but as pointed out prior, Alicante would be too much hard work! It kind of doesn't fit with the rest of your trip anyway (in my mind!).

Andalucia excells around Navidad, and of all the aforementioned places, I found Malaga to have the best atmosphere at this time.

I hope this helps you in your travels.

10. Re: Benalmadena or Torremolinos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 25, 2013