We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not want to see bullfights

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Do not want to see bullfights

I am thinking of going to Malaga in the spring, but I DO NOT want to see any bull fighting. Is it easy to avoid? I am an animal lover and the thought makes me sick, but the town and resorts look great.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,346
1. Re: Do not want to see bullfights

Michelle:

Yes, bullfighting is easy to avoid. The bullring is one block away from the end of the park and you will not see it unless you look for it.

Dallas, Texas
2. Re: Do not want to see bullfights

Thank you so much!

Lennoxtown
reviews: 2
3. Re: Do not want to see bullfights

Michelle we holiday every year in southern Spain both on the Costa de la Luz and inland in one of the pueblos blancos. I don't think the Spanish nation are obsessed by bull fighting. I have never been encouraged to attend a bullfight nor have any of my Spanish friends discussed bull fighting with me, they are more likely to talk about football as they know that my son and I enjoy watching Barça. It is like any other event, you would require to buy a ticket and attend, it doesn't just happen.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 52
4. Re: Do not want to see bullfights

You will see some posters around local towns but you should be aware that some Spanish tv channels show bull fights, so if you have access to a tv and are channel surfing you may well come across it by accident.

I do not agree with bull fighting at all, although I can see the attraction of the pomp of it all from the point of view of how the bullfighters are dressed and carry themselves but there is no way I would actually go and see one as I think the whole thing is cruel and unnecessary.

Vinuela, Spain
reviews: 36
5. Re: Do not want to see bullfights

Unfortunately - in my opinion - fights are also shown on the TVs of many bars and restaurants so you may have to be selective where you eat.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 52
6. Re: Do not want to see bullfights

Forgot about that Campolady but I'm assuming that non-Spanish bars don't show it or at least I'd hope not.

Vinuela, Spain
reviews: 36
7. Re: Do not want to see bullfights

You are quite correct CeeJay - but if the OP means to visit Malaga city rather than the resorts of Malaga Province the vast majority of bars and restaurants are Spanish run.

Edited: 6:31 am, August 24, 2012
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
reviews: 1
8. Re: Do not want to see bullfights

I've always managed to avoid and I think it's not as popular as it once was, there really is no need for it in the EU in this day and age IMO. I found it

interesting on a recent visit how many Spaniards are now actually in favour of it being stopped and are more vocal about it when once they'd stay quiet so as not to upset tradition. One thing I really don't buy is the 'bravery' of matadors, give the bull hands and some knives too so it's more equal then let's have a bullfight. : -o

In any event, regardless of how you feel it's not a reason to stay away IMO,

in my many years in Spain I always found it a puzzle how the spanish people are amongst the most careing, friendly and pasionate people yet there is an anomoly in how their culture has traditionally and still treats animals. Bulls, donkeys, cats or birds, I remember years ago going to a village where they had birds strung up in clay pots so folk would throw stones to break then open, breaking wings and heads in the process, the children thinking it most amusing seeing birds writhing on the ground in agony, I always used to find that sickening and wondered how they grew up to be such nice people - but the vast majority I know have.

Do visit, Michelle, just be prepared to look away on occasion in a mixture of disgust and puzzlement as I do, mostly TV as bull rings are easy to avoid and actually not that many in number anyway..

Stoofer

Oswestry England
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 13
9. Re: Do not want to see bullfights

Perhaps it would be a good idea if Spain adopted the type of bullfighting found in some other countries where the bull is not injured but the matador still faces a dangerous animal.

Plenty of excitement without the cruelty.

Graham

Lennoxtown
reviews: 2
10. Re: Do not want to see bullfights

On the Costa de la Luz and in inland Cádiz we always eat/drink in Spanish ventas and I have never yet come across one showing a bull fight on TV, it is usually football or the news channel. I did notice this year that my neighbour had two little wild birds in a cage, which is not my thing, but they were not mistreated. Their cages were hung on hooks high up away from the danger of cats in the sunshine and they were well fed and watered.

I would agree with Stoofer that by in large the Spanish are kind, caring and friendly. My son has Down's Syndrome and everywhere we go in what I would describe as 'Spanish Spain' the local people are ever so nice to him, this is not always the case in the UK. I have all but given up on the occasional AI holiday because most times we do that we have British people complaining about him. The complaints are generally along the lines of "your son splashed me". I am quite certain some of you will scoff at the very notion but I can assure you this is true. The worst holiday ever was in Ibiza. Such persons then proceed to make the holiday a total misery dishing out a full range of glares whenever we appear in the restaurant or any other public part of the hotel. I apologise for diverging from the subject but thought an example of Spanish kindliness was warranted.

Lindsay