We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, England...
Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

Just back from a week in Marbella (2 adults, 3 children). Booked hire car in advance with Marbesol, disaster from beginning to end.

Instructions were that someone would be waiting for us in arrivals hall but no sign! After numerous calls to their office, we were told to wait outside airport for courtesy bus. Unlike other companies, Marbesol bus only appeared once every 20 mins and when it did only had enough seats for 8 people. We missed first 2 buses as adults shoved kids out the way to get on!

When we arrived at hire depot we queued for 1 1/2 hours before being dealt with. Upon getting to the front of the queue I was stung for €87 for the out full, return empty swizz, this was for a 1.3 Opel Combo with a 52 litre tank where Diesel was on sale locally for 1.30 / litre!

The actual car was a disaster, 65k on the clock, central locking didn't work, engine warning light was on and trying to find a panel that didn't have a ding was a challenge. I asked to change but that was the best of the bunch!

In short, one to be avoided, will go with the big boys next time...

223 replies to this topic
Copenhagen, Denmark
71. Re: Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

You are mistaken. I booked and paid via arguscarhire.com and was stated the net car rental price. Only at pick up at the Marbesol office was I informed of the Marbesol rental terms and the extra charges.

I complained to the woman at the Marbesol office about the forced extra charges but without luck.

I needed a car, was there with my family and kids, so ended up signing the Marbesol contract and taken the car even if I did not like their terms.

You should read all other comments here on tripadvisor - Marbesol is not a popular agency.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 60
72. Re: Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

Rasmus, what Ali was saying is correct. The contract you have is with Marbesol and not the broker so you have to sign their contract when you arrive and their T&Cs state the fuel policy. If you agreed with your broker that it would be full/full and this was noted on the voucher they sent you then I can see that you may have a point. However, if it didn't say it on the voucher then you will have had to abide by the Marbesol T&Cs.

You are right though, Marbesol have lots of bad comments on TA and are definitely a company that I would avoid when booking.

UK/Benalmadena
reviews: 1
73. Re: Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

Argus FAQ's:

Can I change the fuel policy:

The fuel policy is set by the rental provider. It is clearly stated in terms and conditions of your rental voucher. Cartrawler cannot change the fuel policy as it is set by the car rental agent and charged upon arrival at the rental desk.

Where can I check the T&C of the rental of the website:

When you are making your booking you must confirm that you have read, understood and agreed to the rental conditions. If you click on rental conditions at this point your Terms and Conditions of your rental are available for you to view them.

Copenhagen, Denmark
74. Re: Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

I use car rental agencies 4-5 times per year and have done so for many many years across the world.

No other car agency has ever forced me to buy expensive fuel that I do not use, or to buy expensive insurances that I do not need. These things can be optional but no decent business will force customers into accepting them.

It does not matter what your terms are - your business model is dishonest, you trick people into renting your cheap cars. If you can only make money by hiding charges in your terms then you should find another business.

The many complaints on Tripadvisor speak for themselves - you run an unhealthy business.

Derby, United...
reviews: 3
75. Re: Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

>>> "It does not matter what your terms are".......<<<

...... unless I foolishly tick the box to say that I agree to abide by them,and that I am happy to continue and confirm this transaction!!

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
reviews: 29
76. Re: Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

Surely there has to be a charge for fuel at some point, your rental agreement would not cover. Instead of returning half full, did you request to return full. If you returned half full did you receive 48.50 euro's fuel repayment..

When you deduct the renters labour costs for refueling the car which based on u.k. labour charges I would calculate at 25/30 euro's, the fuel is priced at 70 euro;s, not sure the car but not an unreasonable charge.

Even on a full out/full return I would expect to pay for fuel on collection and then have it refunded on returning the car full

Washington UK
reviews: 29
77. Re: Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

Absolutely spot on, couldn't agree more. We experienced the exact same situation and issues.

Returned from holiday 3 wks ago on 4/2/13 and have not received £805.25 refund for the 'imprint only' of my credit card. Had no response from them and i strongly believe that if you do not ask for a refund, they will keep your money. They provided absolutely nothing for this money so had no right to take it.

Please, please avoid people. Go to a reputable hirer. You may pay a little more but you will have peace of mind.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 60
78. Re: Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

If it was only an imprint then you need to check if its actually been taken from your card. If it hasn't there's no refund due.

Wadebridge, United...
79. Re: Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

Yep, this is another "avoid Marbesol" comment I'm afraid.

All good until you turn up at their office in Malaga, then it starts going downhill.

Got stung for the pick-up full tank, retun empty & pay for full tank at exhorbitant rate. We ended up paying over 100 quid for a week's hire of a semi-knackered Seat Leon TDI, where we only used half a tank of fuel (at most). They charged us 107 Euro for the tank of fuel. Now either the Seat Leon has a very large fuel tank, or they ripped us off on price per litre of fuel.

Took the car back at the end of the week, they checked it over & agreed car was OK, I asked "so, the deposit, how/when do we get that back"? They said it would be refunded automatically. It wasn't. It took nearly a month, 1 phone call and 2 helpdesk tickets (on Argus website) to encourage them to return the 800 EUR.

That's my lesson learnt, I'm going with Avis, Hertz, etc next time, I've had enough of the cowboys......

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 7
80. Re: Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!

Wow!

Does anybody actually like Marbesol?

Are there any Positive comments about Marbesol?

I posted my negative gripes on a different forum heading (within Trip Advisor, see below) so I won't repeat my experience (i.e. Dangerous car, 74k Kms, Dents everywhere (how do you dent a roof?!), Rip off pre-fuel scam, Rude service and they kept my €800 deposit). Never again (Booked it through Argus - I notice now that you can ***avoid*** Marbesol as Argus show you which car hire company applies, before you pay!

See Home> Europe > Spain > Andalucia > Costa del Sol > Malaga > Malaga travel forum

Reply to: Car Hire - Avoid Marbesol!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted