We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Western Ireland...
reviews: 1
Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

Did anyone use these in the last few weeks, I know they are new to the airport. How did you find them, were they as good as the others

Thanks

466 replies to this topic
Burnley
reviews: 83
421. Re: Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

Great comments and advice from Ceejay. Just one thought though......I wonder how we would feelreact if we got the "Advantage" school of customer service at Sainsburys, Tesco, Carrefour, Mercadona etc.

I am sure we don't read again and again and again, their T & C's before we purchase in good faith.

One answer and one answer only....DO NOT USE ADVANTAGE/FIREFLY

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
reviews: 24
422. Re: Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

I think the major thing is to ensure your hire form is signed and stamped with all the problems you find with the car.

I mark every single mark and dent, hub caps etc. Often have great fun on returning as the checker finds problems not marked on his sheet as the system not updated from my input.

When I produce my sheet all signed and stamped the wind goes out of the sails. Checker once asked for a copy of my sheet so he could check the vehicle, advised him that if he charged me with any damage the sheet would be entered into court as my defence. He just signed off the car, companies relie on you not to do your homework.

UK/Benalmadena
reviews: 1
423. Re: Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

Ian, do they check your car each time you take it back? I have around 8 car hires each year. The full/full tend to just look at the fuel gauge and the full/empty, I just hand the keys back. They always ask me if everything was ok, to which I always reply yes! Maybe I'm speaking too soon, but I have never seemed to have the problems that you have LOL!

Arroyo de la Miel...
reviews: 35
424. Re: Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

Me neither Ali, and I never take their "excess top up".

Burnley
425. Re: Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

My God!!!!

I am so bored with all this now. How do I stop receiving all these email notifications please.

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
reviews: 24
426. Re: Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

I think because I spend so much time in checking the vehicle, under the bonnet being on my list to inspect, I get re payed when I return.

I even inspected for 15 minutes a brand new avis car, took the smile of the guy when I found no vests.

I find usually if I ever have the hirers insurance just as you say a fuel check.

However, if I have taken a really low offer and then refuse to partake in their money making schemes they are keen on my return .

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 50
427. Re: Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

In the email advice there is a little place to click to cancel the notifications. It takes you to your TA home page where you should be able to remove the notification. However, I've just looked and I had trouble finding it! You need to go to your profile and check your subscriptions, you can then deselect the threads you no longer want to watch!

Looking at it I didn't realise how many threads I've clicked to be notified about that are really old! Think I need to cull some of them.

CJB

Burnley
428. Re: Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

thanks CJB

Leeds, United...
429. Re: Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

OH MY GOD!

Advantage Car Hire - What a company. DO NOT USE! I repeat DO NOT USE.

I hire cars five or six times a year at Malaga Airport and I have just used Advantage (now Firefly) for the first time and NEVER again.

Firstly, as they say, they located at the airport. Not strictly true as it is in the car-park itself. Not a problem as such but they have a ridiculous queuing system where BOTH those wishing to collect a hire car and those returning one have to join the SAME queue. We took our ticket and waited 1 hour 20 minutes to be served. Then the fun started!

We had actually booked an "Astra or similar" we were allocated a Ford Focus. Clearly considerably smaller than we were expecting. We were told that it was the same "category" of car. Although we asked for a bigger car, they had nothing else available. The car came with a "full-empty" fuel policy which is normal for car hire in Spain for duration's of 3 or more days. However, we were to be charged 106 Euro's for the petrol. The tank holds 53 litres hence we were charged extactly 2 Euro's a litre. Petrol costs 1.55 Euros per litre in Spain! Instant 24 Euro profit for Advantage/Firefly!

Next we were asked if we wanted additional insurance. We carry our own excess policy and this normally covers the standard tyres/underbody/glass. However, Advantage told us that Breakdown insurance was not included and a typical tow-in from Malaga would cost about 90 Euro's and was our responsibility. I was not convinced and I suspect that this was just a scam for me to take the insurance. It would be a further 44 Euro's for the week. We declined.

We were given the keys to car and when we finally found it, it was clear that the car had been involved in a serious accident. The bumper was hanging off, one of the lights was smashed and, the near side wheel arch was seriously damaged as were all four doors. When I returned to the office to complain I was told "what do I expect - it is cheap car hire". We were told there was no alternative cars.

Eventually, we crammed in three medium sized and one small suitcase and left the airport. Immediately, it was obvious that the there was serious problems with the steering (probably as a result of the accident) Which meant, that even at low speeds, the steering wheel vibrated violently and the whole car shook. After about 2 Km we decided to return to the airport with the car as it was not road-worthy. We were going to Sierra Nevada skiing and I was not prepared to risk the car. As soon as the staff saw us return, and before I even uttered a word, they had the keys to a Kia C'eed in their hand and told us just to switch over. They didn't even me time to explain what the issue was. I suspect that they knew why I was returning!

The alternative car did actually perform reasonably and although was slightly battered, with 93,000 Km on the clock but we did actually get back in one piece!

Just one final note, we returned back to the airport an hour earlier than normal in order to join the queue with all those wishing to hire cars. This time it was a little quicker, but we still had to wait half an hour!

My advice is AVOID Advantage/Firefly at all cost. And Hertz, you should be ashamed that this is part of your company!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 50
430. Re: Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport

Just goes to show that a change of name doesn't mean that they will improve their customer service!

One thing I would say is though, that if the car's bumper was hanging off and the rear lights were smashed then I wouldn't have even got in it to drive away! You were well within your rights to refuse to accept the car. It's just as well that when you did return it they gave you a better car. If you had been stopped by the police in the time that you were driving the car you could've been fined for driving an unroadworthy car as it is your responsibility as the driver to make sure its all in order. Having said that I would hope that the police would also prosecute Firefly for hiring out unroadworthy vehicles, and I'm sure its the only one they have in their fleet.

I get the impression that Hertz aren't really bothered about how their subsidiary does business and I wonder if this change of name is one way of winding down their operation and then selling the company on.

Reply to: Advantage Car Rental, Malaga Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted