We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Malaga

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 15
Train from Malaga

We have been learning Spanish and are going to Malaga for a long weekend at the end of January to practise and visit the city.

When we are in Malaga I would like to go on a train journey in land to an attractive town not too far away, maybe about 30 mins to 1 hour journey. Walk around the town, have a look in the shops, lunch and return by train to Malaga.

I have a guide book and identified Alora, Montes De Malaga or Antequera as possible destinations. I would appreciate your views on the suitability, or not, of these towns and any other suggestions.

Thank you

Oswestry, United...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Train from Malaga

YORKI,

I cannot help with the mountains or the nature park, whichever you mean.

DYOR and no disrespect intended to Alora, but I have been and by the time you have walked up (or bussed up) the hill to the town from the station and walked to the castle, seen the view from the castle and seen the church that is pretty much it.

Navigate your way to the Antequera forum and you will find a write up on it.

IMHO, Antequera is a day's worth of anyone's site seeing and you should be able to confirm with a 'google'. The bus is a one hour journey and train is not the way to get there. You have to change and Antequera station is perhaps fifteen minutes walk out of town or with no change, make your from Santa Ana station 15k. out, (although buses meet each arrival). I am not going to say very much more or my bias for the town will show. Note also there are less bus services at weekends.

When you make up your mind and if you need more transport wise, ask here.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia
reviews: 2,433
2. Re: Train from Malaga

I enjoy Antequera because there is no foreign influence in this town yet. It is completely Spanish. Read Best Sights of Antequera in TA.

The best way to go there is to take the bus because the train station is quite a distance from the center of town.

You could take the Cercanias train to Torremolinos or go to Fuengirola.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
reviews: 4
3. Re: Train from Malaga

If you plan to spend a nice day strolling in the countryside, Montes de Malaga is an excellent option. This natural park also has the best views over Malaga.

Options for eating out are limited to a picnic (which is not a bad idea if the weather allows) or very traditional restaurants, basic but wonderful, named "Ventas".

I hate to disagree with WomBatt but Alora and its surroundings are gorgeous IMO. The Garganta del Chorro has one of the best breathtaking natural sceneries of Malaga province, and there are lovely little villages as the already mentioned Alora, Ardales, etc. A car is needed to fully explore this area though.

Antequera is along with Ronda one of the most interesting towns in Malaga, and has the magnificent Torcal de Antequera, with one of the most impressive karst formations in Spain.

Now I don't think I've helped you much, but any of these options will do as a great day out of the city.

Have fun.

4. Re: Train from Malaga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 11, 2010