We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental insurance...HELP

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sun valley...
Car rental insurance...HELP

Can anyone tell me if you need to have extra liability insurance in Spain when you rent a car. Our US auto insurance policy does not extent into Spain. We have a rental with carjet for our week in Costa del Sol. Any help on what we need to have as far as insurance goes would be very helpful. If we get into an accident of any kind I do want to be covered for our vehichle and any others that might be involved. If we need extra ins. where do you purchase it?

Thank you so much.

Scotland
reviews: 23
1. Re: Car rental insurance...HELP

Always book through Carjet at Malaga Airport for the very reason that the cover they provide appears the most comprehensive around.

What's not covered are lost car keys, damage to the vehicle if you take it off road, damage if you have been drink driving (negligent use), traffic fines (speeding tickets, parking offences, etc), vehicle glass and locks.

The most reassuring aspect of Carjet rental as far as you are concerned is that if you are unlucky to have an accident in the hire vehicle you ARE covered.

In the interests of accuracy, I have cut and pasted this passage from the Carjet website, and it reads...

"In the event of bodywork damage to the car hire vehicle (like dented panels, broken wing mirrors etc, not : tyres glass wheels etc see below) there is no renter responsibility."

Can't say fairer than that!

I have a friend who rented through Carjet at Malaga a few weeks ago. His car was badly dented in a supermarket car park. He phoned Carjet (actually Crown rentals) and was told to bring it in at the end of hire, and not to worry about it.

When he did return it, he handed over the keys, explaining again about the damage, expecting a Q&A grilling before beating a hasty retreat.

They didn't even bother looking at it. Just took the keys off him and wished him a safe flight home!

No wonder Carjet are now No 1 hire company in all Spain!

Hope this helps. Tony.

sun valley...
2. Re: Car rental insurance...HELP

Thank You Tony for your help. It was very useful. We are looking forward to our trip to Spain and just want to make sure all our bases are covered!

Ireland
reviews: 7
3. Re: Car rental insurance...HELP

For information, CarJet is actually a car rental broker who work with the principal car rental companies, so the company the car is actually from can vary.