We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

Which Costa del Sol hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Limerick, Ireland
reviews: 55
Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

Hi Guys,

I am between two hotels and two resorts. There are 5 of us going away in early June including my grandfather who is in his eighties. I am between Las Rampas in Fuengirola and Cabello in La Carihuela. My grandfather's mobility is fine but he would find the walk along the beachfront from La Carihuela to Torremolinos tough so we would be relying on taxis I think.

I have stayed in Cabello before so I know the pros and I know the area but I came across Las Rampas and thought it looked nice plus it close to the train station for airport transfers and for going on day trips. There is also a big advantage for us in the fact that thre is a small pool there.

Las Rampas is a little more expensive though and I am a little worried that there will be too much of a young, party atmosphere in the area? I know nothing about Fuengirola so I dont know what to expect. Is it far more lively and far less pretty than La Carihuela and Is it family oriented or will it be groups of younger people?I suppose Im just looking for the opinion of someone who knows both areas and maybe both hotels so you could help compare and contrast.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated because I have to maake the decision soon and book!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 4
1. Re: Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

A difficult one! Fuengirola is popular with the oldies because it's flat, and Las Rampas is in the centre of things so your grandfather would be able to go around the town without too much difficulty.

Being in the centre of Fuengirola does mean that it's going to be busy in the surrounding area, and you don't have the great chiringuitos that La Carihuela has, but as you say you are also near the railway station so you can get out and about to other places easily.

I suppose it depends on what you want to be doing with your time - you know the Cabello, so you know it's in a great location with everything immediately on hand in the village. Don't expect the same laid-back atmosphere in Fuengirola, but unless you're out late at night you're unlikely to experience some of the livelier shenanigans that go on around the nearby port area.

Limerick, Ireland
2. Re: Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

Thanks a million for yout thoughts. I think I need to sleep on it!

Torremolinos, Spain
3. Re: Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

I have to favour Carihuela, not because i am bias etc but simply because on the odd times I've been to Fuengirola even in the day i find it very uncomfortable, especially in the towny area by the bus station etc.

It looks like there are "spotters" everywhere, giving you the eye and watching what's going on etc... i am a very observant person and i just don't get that feeling in Carihuela...

Just thought i'd put that in the mix.

CB

Limerick, Ireland
4. Re: Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

Hi cheekybadger. Is your sense that Fuengirola is far less safe? That would definitely be a deciding factor for me.

If only Cabello had a small pool - that would be decision made for me!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
5. Re: Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

I know what the Badger means about Fuengirola, there are often some unsavoury characters hanging around in the centre.

Limerick, Ireland
6. Re: Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

Thanks guys. I think that has me sold on Cabello!!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
7. Re: Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

It's probably the difference between a large town centre and a small seaside location - after all, the centre of Torre has a few people hanging around too, but they always seem more numerous in Fuengie.

Ireland
reviews: 28
8. Re: Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

I spent one day in Fuengirola and I also did not like the feel of it. I much prefer Torre. Going in April and spending time in Aloha and the Principe.

I'm also going in the winter but can't decide where to stay.

Limerick, Ireland
9. Re: Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

Thanks for the help guys! I have decided that La carihuela or Torremolinos is the way to go. It will be Cabello or I just found a good rate on 3 studio apartments in Bajondillo. Any thoughts on which would be a better option? I love that Bajondillo has a pool and some entertainment but would there be a lot of climbing for my grandfather to get to restaurants at night? I did also hear there was a lift?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
10. Re: Fuengirola or La Carihuela?

Itr depends where in Bajondillo, some parts can be a bit out of the way.

Have you looked at Hotel Miami? They have a pool and the hotel itself is in a great building.