We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patios as a competitive sport? It must be Cordoba (NY Times)

Which Cordoba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cordoba, spain
Destination Expert
for Cordoba
reviews: 16
Patios as a competitive sport? It must be Cordoba (NY Times)

nytimes.com/2013/…

3 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 47
1. Re: Patios as a competitive sport? It must be Cordoba (NY Times)

I smiled at this. One of the things we really noticed in our short day trip to Cordoba to see the Mezquita was the very lovely courtyards in private homes.

While the focus of my trip report was the Mezquita, I do include some pictures of courtyards.

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,230
2. Re: Patios as a competitive sport? It must be Cordoba (NY Times)

ati:

Good article! Cordoba definitely has the best patios in Spain!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,230
3. Re: Patios as a competitive sport? It must be Cordoba (NY Times)

Janet:

Good photos!

Experts say that if the Mezquita had not been converted to a Catholic church, the building would have been unused and not maintained, so it would have deteriorated and we would be unable to see it today. All the other Moorish monuments that had not been used have all deteriorated and are gone today.

About the Muslims: They do not allow images in their mezquitas. However in the past they allowed it in their palaces. If you go to the Nasrid Palace in the Alhambra, there is on the ceiling in the Hall of Kings the images of 10 individuals in a painting.

http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/index.php/The-Hall-of-the-Kings-Paintings/162+M5d637b1e38d/0/

I do not know if you saw the Jar of the Gazelles in the Alhambra Museum. This is a large jar with the images of gazelles. There are only 8 of these left in the world. They were all made in Malaga and what differentiates these jars from others is that they have a golden sheen. Malaga produced these large jars for palaces in the Mediterranean world during the 14th century, many intended to decorate Muslim palaces.

Reply to: Patios as a competitive sport? It must be Cordoba (NY Times)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted