We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Spain - help with itinerary

Which Spain hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 4
Romantic Spain - help with itinerary

Hello, my partner and I are planning a tour of Spain for a romantic holiday. We will be travelling in August / September using public transport. This the itinerary we have come up with, does this look reasonable or are we trying to pack too much in? Interested to hear your views. Thanks

Day 1 London - Hendaye

2 San Sebastian

3 San Sebastian

4 San Sebastian

5 Llanes (for Picos de Europa)

6 Llanes

7 Vigo (for Ons and Cies beaches)

8 Vigo

9 Madrid

10 Seville

11 Seville (day trip to Cordoba)

12 Costa De La Luz

13 Costa De La Luz

14 Ronda

15 Ronda

16 Ronda

17 Granada

18 Granada

19 Granada

20 Paris

21 London

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,370
1. Re: Romantic Spain - help with itinerary

Ezmeralda:

I would go from Madrid on the AVE to Cordoba and spend the night there. Then take the AVE to Seville, where I would spend 3 days. That way you do not backtrack for the day trip to Cordoba.

Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online and Buying Alhambra Tickets Online in TA.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,370
2. Re: Romantic Spain - help with itinerary

Also 2 days in Ronda will be enough. Read Best Restaurants of Ronda in TA.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
reviews: 9
3. Re: Romantic Spain - help with itinerary

My initial observation is there are far too many places too far apart.

For example Llanes to Vigo has to be travelled bus as there are no trains covering this section.

But the bus journey takes something like 9 or 10 hours. It is presently scheduled to leave at 4 in the morning. Is that practicable or even romantic for you?

Llanes is not in the Picos de Europa National Park so it could be difficult to see any of the park using public transport. Have you checked on bus time tables for this part of the tour?

Can you get from London to Hendaye in a day?

Getting from Vigo to Madrid can be done either by train or bus, but again the journey is quite a long one.

To get to see the best beach in the world (Islas Cies) then ensure you have pre-booked the ferry crossing as visitors to the Islands are limited.

I will leave comments about other areas of Spain to those who know more about those areas.

UK
reviews: 4
4. Re: Romantic Spain - help with itinerary

Thank you so much for your replies, they have been really useful. I would love to see the Cies Islands but I think they are too far off the route so we will save them for another trip - you are right that a 9 hour bus journey is not romantic!!! So now we have come up with the following:

Day 1 - Train from London to Paris, sleeper train to Hendaye, train to San Sebastian

2 - San Sebastian

3 - San Sebastian

4 - San Sebastian

5 - Llanes

6 - Potes

7 - Llanes

8- Madrid

9 - Madrid (day trip to Toledo)

10 - Cordoba

11 - Seville

12 - Seville

13 - Costa De La Luz

14 - Costa De La Luz

15 - Costa De La Luz

16 - Costa De La Luz

17 - Ronda

18 - Ronda

19 - Granada

20 - Granada

21- Granada

22 - fly to London from Malaga

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Would also be great to hear what people think are the most stunning beaches of the Costa De La Luz, and the best places to be based in the Picos de Europa for easy walks and green scenery.

Many thanks

berkshire, england
reviews: 16
5. Re: Romantic Spain - help with itinerary

Day 1 - Train from London to Paris, sleeper train to Hendaye, train to San Sebastian

Why? Why not just fly London to Bilbao direct?

2 - San Sebastian

3 - San Sebastian

4 - San Sebastian

5 - Llanes

6 - Potes

7 - Llanes

Bear in mind that these places are very rural, and not easy to travel around without a car. Highly recommended though.

8- Madrid

9 - Madrid (day trip to Toledo)

OK ....

10 - Cordoba

I would visit Cordoba as a day trip on route from Madrid to Seville rather than stay over. Get off the AVE in Cordoba (someone else will need to advise on left luggage, but am sure it is possible), see the Mezquita and then travel on to Seville the same way.

11 - Seville

12 - Seville

13 - Costa De La Luz

14 - Costa De La Luz

15 - Costa De La Luz

16 - Costa De La Luz

17 - Ronda

18 - Ronda

I'm not sure that Ronda is worth the same amount of time as Sevilla - it's worth a visit, but I would do one day there and add an extra to Seville. Ronda is small, interesting shops, but apart from the view down the gorge, it's not unmissable.

19 - Granada

20 - Granada

21- Granada

22 - fly to London from Malaga

or consider flying from Granada to London via Madrid with Iberia, rather than going down to Malaga.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
reviews: 9
6. Re: Romantic Spain - help with itinerary

I would suggest you reconsider your stay in and around the Picos.

There are some great beaches around but seeing that you are also looking around the Costa De La Luz for the same thing too then use that time for beaching and use what little time you have allocated for walking in Potes. It is not my personal favourite town in the Picos but it is a good base to find some organised walking tours in the Picos. I think this is the best way you can do some walking in the National Park as most walks are not really accessible using public transport.

So expand your time a little in Potes and drop Llanes.

Do you realise that Llanes has a quite a small beach?

But all of this are only a suggestions

7. Re: Romantic Spain - help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, August 14, 2010