We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am visiting Buchenwald in October - suggestions?

Which Weimar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 6
Am visiting Buchenwald in October - suggestions?

I am visiting Weimar for two days in October specifically to visit Buchenwald, where a good friend survived 2 1/2 years there. There is absolutely no information on Trip Advisor under either Weimar or Ettersburg that I can find - am I missing something? I do not speak German, am planning this trip mostly by the Internet and am traveling a long way to get there. Will arrive by train from Berlin, reservations at Leonardo Hotel Weimar and will need public transportation. Are there local suggestions for transportation there? amount of time to spend there? (I already have an English tour reserved.) And - after visiting such a dark place - what would the best place(s) in Weimar be to visit that are accessible by public transport? Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

3 replies to this topic
Germany
reviews: 3
1. Re: Am visiting Buchenwald in October - suggestions?

I presume you've found the site's webpage in English:

http://www.buchenwald.de/en/171/

They say to take bus number 6 from downtown. The Leonardo is a ways out from the center and it looks like you'll have to take bus number 1 to get into town. You could probably just walk (to downtown) though.

I would plan at least half a day, if not more. Very few of the buildings themselves remain but the permanent exhibition in the old depot is amazing and you can spend hours there. I'd go in the morning, because some things close fairly early during the winter months.

If the weather is pleasant, the Park an der Ilm is nice and right across the road from the Leonardo. We like the Bauhaus Museum in Weimar but it might be "cultural overload" if you try to do it the same day as Buchenwald. Hope that helps!

Edited: 3:17 am, August 19, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 6
2. Re: Am visiting Buchenwald in October - suggestions?

Your reply is most appreciated. I look forward to your beautiful city.

Frankfurt
reviews: 21
3. Re: Am visiting Buchenwald in October - suggestions?

Hi Katrina4321,

you can go to the Buchenwald Gedenkstätte by bus No.6 directly from Weimar Hauptbahnhof (central railway station) in only 14 minutes.

Reply to: Am visiting Buchenwald in October - suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Weimar