We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Leipzig from Berlin on Sunday

Which Leipzig hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berlin, Germany
reviews: 21
Day trip to Leipzig from Berlin on Sunday

Hi everyone! Sorry if this information is already in another post, I couldn't find it.

I'm planning a trip tomorrow to Leipzig from Berlin, a Sunday. I was thinking of taking the train at 8am, be at Leipzig at 10.30am or so. I'm travelling with the Wochenende ticket for 8€ and was wondering if it'd be worth it to take my bike with me to move around Leipzig, should I or would it be better not to carry the bike around Leipzig?

Also I'd like to know if because I'm going on a Sunday I'll be missing on something, places closed, nice restaurants that I won't be able to try, museums etc etc.

What are the must-sees in Leipzig? My main interest is classical music and I'm going to see Bach basically. But are there any famous people/composers/poets buried or born in Leipzig that I shouldn't miss?

What would be a good typical traditional old restaurant, maybe communist times, maybe old-fashioned german food type affordable for a students pocket?

Thank you very much!

Germany
reviews: 3
1. Re: Day trip to Leipzig from Berlin on Sunday

Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket for 8 Euro? Where from did you get that price? I guess you're five people travelling together then ...

The bike would allow you to move around faster - but you need a good map to know directions. Most sights are in the compact old town anyway. The two main churches are obvious - Nikolai- and Thomaskirche. Next to Thomaskirche is the Bach museum - a must for you, I guess. Well worth seeing is the Mendelssohn museum, he lived there for quite a while. The Robert-Schumann-house is smaller, but if you're interested check it out. Another place of interest could be the small Schiller museum, but it's a bit distance from the old town (well doable by bike, though).

My problem with Sundays is that the city centres are usually a bit dead since shops are closed. Also, the University in Leipzig is right in the old town, a vibrant place on weekdays, but pretty much dead on weekends. For food try Thüringer Hof e.g., around the corner from Bach museum. Old style, regional food.

Stroll through the old town, check out the older shopping arcades (although shops will be closed, some restaurants and cafes will be open). The Renaissance town hall with museum is also interesting. The Grassi museum is excellent - decorative arts, music instruments and ethnological collections.

Berlin, Germany
reviews: 21
2. Re: Day trip to Leipzig from Berlin on Sunday

This is some EXCELLENT response, I can't believe I got such a great response so quickly! I already thought I was posting too late.

So in your opinion I should ditch the bike at home and go bare right? I will take the train back to Berlin at 8pm so that gives me around....8 hours to see Leipzig, would that be enough?

Thanks for the food recommendations, very much looking forward to trying it :) The Grassi is the one with the very old works of art musical instruments I've read about? And what about that Schlösschen or something...is that worth it? I will definitely check the Schumann house thanks for pointing it out

Germany
reviews: 3
3. Re: Day trip to Leipzig from Berlin on Sunday

Yes, I would not bother taking the bike - as far as I know it costs extra on the train, and for that money you could easily buy a day ticket for the trams in Leipzig to get around faster.

8 hours are not enough to see everything in Leipzig, but you will get a good first impression and see most of the music related sights.

Yep, the Grassi has all these old musical instruments. By "Schlösschen" you probably refer to Gohliser Schlösschen, a Baroque manor with a beautiful small garden. It's pretty close to the Schiller museum, you could have a quick look at it if in the area. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Btw, I forgot to mention the town hall - an impressive structure, beautiful entrance hall and staircase, with a guided tour you can climb the tower - great views. Don't know about tours on Sunday, though. The Bundesverwaltungsgericht (former Reichsgericht), one of the highest courts in Germany, has its home in a massive building (not sure about "beauty" in this case), similar to the Reichstag in Berlin, and they offer tours upon reservation in advance - definitely too late, but you can try for your next visit. :-)

4. Re: Day trip to Leipzig from Berlin on Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 13, 2014