We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
reviews: 4
dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

I am scheduled to travel to Dresden tomorrow (Thursday 6th) until Sunday and have work commitments in Jena on Friday and Dresden on Saturday. Does anyone know how bad the flood alert really is? Is it safe or sensible to travel? Are they likely to evacuate the cities? Also will the train s be running? I am going by train on Friday to Jena and back.

thanks for any information

11 replies to this topic
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
1. Re: dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

It is critical. In Jena the worst is over, but in Dresden nobody knows. Tonight and tomorrow morning the peak of the flood is scheduled to pass through Dresden. There is no need to evacuate the whole city - the higher parts won't be affected. Some low-lying suburbs have already been evacuated and more might follow. The flood is almost as high as the 2002 one but they hope their new flood protections are good enough to save the city centre. All they can do is hope and pray, and fill and pile up sand sacks and protect their belongings.

You will of course be safe because if there are dangerous areas they will be cordoned off and you won't be let in. However, better contact your work commitments and hear what they say. They might be busy with emergency situation and postpone the appointment ,or at least relocate the meeting to somewhere outside the city centre. They will know best how to estimate the situation.

The trains on your route are currently running normally, perhaps with some delays. Nobody can predict at the moment what's going to happen during the next two days, though.

Dresden
reviews: 2
2. Re: dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

I live some km outside Dresden and commute to the city centre (right by the river) every day to work.

Peak is expected Thursday around noon. Some roads are closed. Some people in outskirts along the river were evacuated. Due to closure of the Blue Wonder bridge (and some other roads) the traffic is thicker than usual, but it's not too bad. The commuter trains run as far as Heidenau upstream, no service to Pirna or Saxon Switzerland. The trains to Jena will be running on normal schedule. The only train route affected is Dresden to Prague.

Otherwise life goes on. 95% of the city are not affected at all. Travel to Dresden is totally safe.

beegoat@aol.com
3. Re: dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

We are traveling from Dresden to Prague next week via the train. Should we look for other transportation or do you think it will be up and running by then? I guess I have been away from trip advisor for awhile this is the first I have heard of the flooding. We leave tomorrow .

Dresden
4. Re: dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

Check with Deutsche Bahn when you're in Berlin. Trains are still running, but are some hours late. If the railroad embankment by the river stays stable - nobody knows what happens in the next days, the water is on peak right now, will only slowly recede - then you don't need to worry. Otherwise Deutsche Bahn will offer replacement buses for transport to Prague.

If all else fails you can still take the train from Berlin to Dresden and take a bus from Dresden to Prague. See www.rvd.de for those, or www.berlinlinienbus.de (they run even from Berlin to Prague).

beegoat@aol.com
5. Re: dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

Thanks eagle will check the situation out when we land on Saturday

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 22
6. Re: dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

Hi, we planned to visit Dresden early August to do hiking at the saxony Switzerland national park. Is Dresden recovering from the flood situation? Thanks in advance for the advice. We tried finding related news online but those are more of Germany in general.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
7. Re: dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

Dresden was this time not as severely affected as 2002. No tourist sights or attractions were flooded this time.

Munich, Germany
reviews: 1
8. Re: dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

Can I also jump in this thread and ask if Dresden is okay to travel to this week?! I know you all are saying that city centre is not affected, but just want to make sure before we embark on our little trip. We will be driving from Munich.

Thanks a bunch!!

Kelkheim (Taunus...
reviews: 18
9. Re: dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

Absolutely safe, my parents are staying there right at the moment.

Dresden
10. Re: dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?

Totally safe to travel.

Re: Hiking in Saxon Switzerland in early August - absolutely doable, no restrictions on hiking trails. However, some hotels and restaurants in the small towns right by the Elbe river may not be back in business yet. Lots of renovation works to do there. The trains from Pirna to Bad Schandau only run every hour, not twice an hour at the moment. This may not change until end of August.

Reply to: dresden and surrounding areas - flood alert?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted