We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 54
Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

My wife and I are doing 13 nights in Prague, Dresden and Berlin—in that order during the last week of July and first week of August. Right now, I have 4 nights in Prague, 5 in Dresden (and surrounding areas), and 4 nights in Berlin. We are interested in culture more than anything. When I say culture I mean: walking the streets, architecture, castles, street food, beer, old churches, great restaurants, good views. We may want to see a symphony, an opera, and a ballet (my wife would LOVE it) throughout the three cities. We might be interested in a museum or two but definitely not a ton of museums. We love walking and long beautiful walks and possibly a hike.

My question is: Will we have enough to do in Dresden and the surrounding areas? I can hear the responses already... that we should have more nights in Berlin. I know, I know. I'm sort of organizing the nights the way I did because we want more German charm than necessarily all the big thrills of a big city. Whenever I'm in big cities I get tempted to accomplish a ton of things in order to "check them off my list" but this time I'd like to limit our time doing that so we can enjoy each other and German/Czech culture. My wife will also be in her second trimester of pregnancy so we are planning to take things a little slower and laid back and we don't want to stay in more than three hotels to keep travel with suitcases to a minimum. I have four nights in Prague because the first half day will be jet lagged and then I figure 3 full days and we leave for Dresden the next morning.

So here's my questions:

Are we crazy to put 5 nights in Dresden? Most people on the forums seem to plan 2 or 3 but we are just drawn to it (plus we want some small town trips during that time).

Any ballets along our route? Best place to do the symphony?

Best day trips from Dresden? I have these written down but would love to hear what the best three are: Bastei, Bautzen, Zittau, Meissen, Bayreuth, Coburg, Gorlitz, others?

Best couple of places to stay in Dresden? Based on what I'm finding online, we have budgeted enough for almost anywhere in Dresden.

Any other general suggestions (in any of the cities) for our 13 night babymoon?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
1. Re: Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

Holy crap. There is enough in and around Dresden to fill several weeks. So this is not crazy at all.

Bayreuth and Coburg are in Northern Bavaria and too far for day trips from Dresden. All the other places on your list are surely worth it.

Seattle, Washington
2. Re: Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

Thanks! Just booked five nights in Dresden. Let me know if anyone knows about my other questions (restaurant suggestions, ballet, day trips, etc.)

Dresden
reviews: 3
3. Re: Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

First of all I suggest you have a look at this page with many, many tips:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/4166c/1091e/

Plenty of restaurant tips there, too.

As for day trips - Bautzen, Meissen, Freiberg are the most beautiful (old) towns in the closer distance. Another beautiful old town, excellent combination with Bastei and Fortress Königstein/National Park Saxon Switzerland, is Pirna.

Castles/Palaces/gardens in the area: Pillnitz, Moritzburg, Weesenstein, Fortress Königstein, Meissen.

Radebeul is one of the neighbouring towns of Dresden. Well worth seeing - vineyards, tours and wine tasting here: www.schloss-wackerbarth.de Also, Alt-Kötzschenbroda, train stop Radebeul-West (S1), is a picturesque old district, with (wine-) restaurants, (artisan-) shops, galleries.

With only five nights I wouldn't do day trips farther away. Calculate at least two full days for Dresden's centre and surrounding districts, a steamboat trip to Pillnitz, the area around Blue Wonder bridge (Schillerplatz/Körnerplatz with the suspension railway - viewpoint!), Grosser Garten (the city's sort of 'Central Park').

As for ballet or symphony - bad timing. European theatres (that goes for all three cities) are on summer break from early/mid July on (latest). Watch out for festivals. Or for special concerts that are announced as "events". I know that, for example, there are sometimes concerts in the Zwinger in Dresden. More like chamber music. Another idea are the churches - for example in the Frauenkirche Dresden (www.frauenkirche-dresden.de), where Simone Kermes and an orchestra will perform Baroque music on 3 August.

Seattle, Washington
4. Re: Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

Very helpful! Thanks Eagle2002. I will definitely check out the Frauenkirche Dresden selection. Reading what you've been writing on these forums has been so helpful and it's part of the reason we've geared our trip around the great things we see in and around Dresden! Thanks again.

Seattle, Washington
5. Re: Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

Eagle, can you link me to the information about Simon Kermes being at the Frauenkirche.

Dresden
6. Re: Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

3 August:

Arias and instrumental music by Nicola Antonio Porpora, Johann Adolph Hasse, Giovanni Battista Pergolesi and Georg Friedrich Händel

Sopran Simone Kermes

Baroque orchestra La Folia

http://www.frauenkirche-dresden.de/veranstaltung-detail+M5d21c62f6b0.html?&tx_cal_controller[getdate]=20130803&tx_cal_controller[uid]=11605

(not sure if that link works for you, but you can go to www.frauenkirche-dresden.de and click on "Veranstaltungskalender")

Tickets either via Frauenkirche or www.mdr-ticketshop.de (check 3 August)

Seattle, Washington
7. Re: Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

That's perfect! Thank you so much. You rock Eagle. My wife and I are sitting on our porch right now going through all your info on virtual tourist.

Do you know of any festivals or special concerts at the Semper? I was looking around but got in over my head with German :) We would love to see something at the Semper... but if not then we'll have to at least try to do a tour.

Seattle, Washington
8. Re: Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

Also, would we be PG Sitzlplatz, (mit Ermäßigung), or (mit Bonuscard)?

Dresden
9. Re: Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

You would buy a regular ticket, no reductions (Ermäßigung) or Bonuscard. Can you email them?

The regular theatre season is over. Starts again end of August. However, right now there is an excellent musical in the Semperoper - West Side Story. Original cast and production from the Broadway, if I got this right. Tickets and info here: http://www.semperoper.de/en/spielplan.html

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
10. Re: Enough to do for Five Nights in Dresden area?

Ah, West Side Story. If this is the same production and cast that I saw in Baden-Baden a while ago, it is truly excellent.