We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

three days itienary for dresden

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Al Khobar, Saudi...
three days itienary for dresden

Hi

My husband and I will be traveling from Berlin to Dresden on Saturday, June. 01, 2013, arriving at approximately 6 pm. we will stay in Dresden till 5th June. we are interested mostly in historic places and scenery. we can skip art museums. i would love to enjoy river cruise. please suggest 3 days itinerary for us. i would also like to know which Dresden card will be best for us. all suggestions are most welcome.

thank you in advance

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 17
1. Re: three days itienary for dresden

I cannot design a complete 3 day itinerary, but I can surely suggest to visit the Bastei rocks for some jaw dropping scenery. Take a local train from Dresden to Pirna, then Bus 237 to Bastei, takes a little over an hour. After enjoying the views you can walk down the track downhill to Wehlen (easy walk) then take the ferry across the river to the train station. Then you could proceed further via local train to Koenigstein, where you have a wonderful fortress to tour, if it interests you. From the station take the 'Koenigstein express' road train up to the fortress. Then from Konigstein you can return to Dresden by a wonderful boat ride on the Elbee river. This is doable in a long day if you are quick, but better is to allow 2 days each for the Bastei and Konigstein/boat ride.

The Dresden old town area is also great to explore and deserves a whole day of sight-seeing, but as I am not that much into history I leave for someone else to comment

Al Khobar, Saudi...
2. Re: three days itienary for dresden

Thank you Srshenoy for the great suggestion. we will definitely do this wonderful trip. can you tell me the about the weather is it too hot or what about rain do i have to bring umbrella?

Thankyou

Dresden
reviews: 3
3. Re: three days itienary for dresden

Better bring an umbrella. If you're from Saudi-Arabia you'll find it to be cold. According to the weather forecast it will be rainy and 16-20 C max. coming weekend.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 35
4. Re: three days itienary for dresden

We had a very full day at the historical sites (Zwinger, toured the Semper Opera House, the Frauenkirche, the parade of princes mural, the Green Vault), enjoyed the Koenigstein, and also Moritzburg, but my absolute favourite nearby town was Meissen. It is on the river, so maybe can be visited by boat (?) or train, such a wonderful old town, with castle, cathedral, steep little alleys, wonderful architecture, famous for porcelain (not something I was interested in, but the history is fascinating).

Al Khobar, Saudi...
5. Re: three days itienary for dresden

Thank you for your replies. looking forward to visit this beautiful place :)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 6
6. Re: three days itienary for dresden

When I was in Dresden I took a cruise to Pillnitz. Here you can the Summer Palace of the kings of Saxony. The river cruises go to a lot of different places along the river, and I certainly wish I had spent longer at Dresden.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 35
7. Re: three days itienary for dresden

Oh yes, we visited the summer palaces, too, very striking, lovely setting and gardens too. It would be a lovely cruise, never thought of doing it that way when we were there.

Al Khobar, Saudi...
8. Re: three days itienary for dresden

Hi

Ok from what i gathered from fourms I will list the things we hope to see and do, and maybe someone can help by suggesting the best order.

we will reach berlin on Saturday 1st June at 11:00 am. we are thinking to to take a bus to dresden from airport ( Do i have to buy a ticket before hand or i can get whe i reach there and how much time it takes in immigatation nd customs etc?)

i think will will reach Dresden by 4:00 pm. Please suggest what should i do rest of the day?

On Sunday 2nd june we are planning to visit Zwinger (Porcelain Collection and The Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon ) we will drop art gallery as we are not much into arts. then we are planning to visit green vaults Rüstkammer and Münzkabinett) is it possible in 1 day?

on dresden tourism site they have mentioned some observation points i want to know which one is best?

Frauenkirche dome

Hausmannsturm

Kreuzkirche Church tower

Town Hall tower

Dreikoenigskirche Church tower

Ernemann tower

Look-out Bismarcksaeule

Fichte tower

Look-out at Hohen Stein

On 3rd June we have only half day as my husband have to attend conference we are planning to visit transport museum. semper opera, Frauenkirche Church, Prosessation of Princes (night view).

On 4th June we want to enjoy steamboat trip or a day trip any where like Sershenoy suggested. i am confused where to go please suggest some good options. we want to cover as much dresden as we can in 4 days. If i missed some thing please do mention :$

One last thing please suggest some good turkish or indian food resturants.

I know this is too much but i really need some suggestions as i am too excited for our visit and want to enoy it at fullest.

Thankyou

Edited: 9:57 am, May 28, 2013
Dresden
reviews: 3
9. Re: three days itienary for dresden

The schedule for Sunday is doable, but it's too many museums IMO - you'll hardly be able to appreciate what you see.

Of those viewing points the best is IMO the Hausmannsturm, which is part of the Royal Palace. The top of Frauenkirche is a bit too expensive for my taste (8 Euro), but it is worth doing if you're interested in the architecture of the church, especially the upper dome which you can see from the inside while walking up. I also like the Dreikönigskirche tower for the views. Other viewing points, not mentioned here, are the top station of the suspension railway in Dresden-Loschwitz (Körnerplatz), also the Cafe-Restaurant Luisenhof next to the top station of the funicular (also from Körnerplatz).

On 4th June you can either do a steamboat trip to Pillnitz Palace and gardens or do an excursion to the National Park Saxon Switzerland. The latter would be best by train (to Pirna), where you can hop on a steamboat to Bad Schandau. Train back to Dresden. For schedules see www.bahn.de and www.saechsische-dampfschifffahrt.de

Indian restaurant: Scheune, in the vibrant Neustadt (New Town) district. http://www.scheunecafe.de/

(in German only, sorry). Or check this review: members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/22e700/

Around the corner: Jaipur http://www.jaipur-dresden.de

The owner is Indian, so it should be authentic (never been there).

Another option: http://www.agra-dresden.de

In the old town, next to hotel Radisson Gewandhaus.

Turkish: There are Döner/Kebaps at almost every other corner. Real turkish restaurants are harder to find. Two come to my mind:

http://www.sultanpalast-dresden.de

Address is Bautzener Strasse 23, trams #6, 11, 13 to stop Bautzener/Rothenburger Strasse.

And another Sultan's at Jordanstr. 2, trams #7, 8 to Louisenstrasse.

Both in the Neustadt district.

Al Khobar, Saudi...
10. Re: three days itienary for dresden

Hello

I would like to thank you all for helping me in planning my trip. i had a wonderful time in Dresden. unfortunately we did not get a chance for pirna, bestei rocks and boat ride due to danger of flooding. i hope to do this next time.

Thank you all :)