We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re travel by public transport

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
reviews: 56
re travel by public transport

We are arriving from Prague at 12.45pm tomorrow by train. We are booked into the Akademiehotel which is 20 mins tram ride apparently. Is there a tram stop close to the railway station?We are there for 2 days. What sort of transport pass should we get?

Thanks

Vikki

Dresden
reviews: 3
1. Re: re travel by public transport

Tram #7 runs from the main railway station to stop "Infineon Nord" (direction Weixdorf), a few steps from the Akademiehotel. You take the same tram back to the city centre (stops "Synagoge" or "Pirnaischer Platz" for the old town).

Buy a family day ticket, valid for 2 adults and up to four kids 6-14 years (younger ones are free). Cost is 8 Euro for the zone Dresden. Please note: The ticket is valid the samw day until 4 am next morning - means you need to buy another one for the next day. For the tram ride to the main railway station on the third day (or so) buy just single trip tickets, 2 Euro each.

In case you're planning to visit a lot of museums you might check out the Dresden Card. It includes public transportation and free/discounted admission to museums and other attractions.

Brisbane
2. Re: re travel by public transport

Thanks so much. as usual TA saves the day. You guys are wonderful!

Miami Beach, Florida
3. Re: re travel by public transport

This trip in the train to Dresden from Pagre, how long does it take? How early can I leave for Dresden and when should I take the last train? I am disable can not walk at long interval need to stop and rest? Travelling alone.

Brisbane
4. Re: re travel by public transport

We caught the train at 10.29am and it arrived at 12.45pm into Dresden. You will need to be at the station at least 1/2hr before so that you can check which platform the train leaves from. You can't see this until 1/2hr before your train. We booked seats but our train had plenty of empty seats. It is hard to get in and out of these trains but hopefully there will be someone who can help you.

Dresden
5. Re: re travel by public transport

Unfortunately the Czech Railways announce track numbers only shortly before the train departs. It's different in Germany, the trains back from Dresden to Prague depart from track #17, there's an elevator to the track, so no problem for anyone disabled. However, please have a look at this website for more information and possible help from staff at the train station:

bahn.de/i/…handicap-service.shtml

I recommend you take the 8.29 am train from Prague main station (hlavni nadrazi) to Dresden, arrival 10.45 am, no changes.

There are convenient trains back at 7.09 pm and 9.09 pm from Dresden main station, the latter with obligatory reservation (Euro Night Train). No changes required.

Miami Beach, Florida
6. Re: re travel by public transport

This forum is great and you guys are angels in disguese, really I am soo happy with this info, thank you very much.Dora\ps: This is my dream

Miami Beach, Florida
7. Re: re travel by public transport

Hello, I am back asking questions I booked Hotel from July 9-12,arriving by train from Prague. Does anyone know if there are any places I need to know that they are closed?, sites or museums on Tuesday around 12-1 pm,Wednesday or Thursday.Friday will probably leave around 3 or 5pm (which is better? traffic wise.)Need to plan everything I am slow walking and will need various resting periods, Thanks a lot for your help.Doral

Dresden
8. Re: re travel by public transport

Monday and/or Tuesday are closing days for museums in general. On Tuesday the Royal Palace museums are closed (Green Vault, Turkish chamber etc.)

The Church of Our Lady (Frauenkirche) has services on weekdays at noon and 6 pm, is closed for touring for about an hour then. Otherwise everything should be open.

Miami Beach, Florida
9. Re: re travel by public transport

Thank you Eagle 2000, another question those the closing of museums apply to Prague also?Regards,Doral

Dresden
10. Re: re travel by public transport

Every museum has different closing days. You must be more specific. But in general, yes, Monday is a bad day for museums.