We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cards & money in Seiffen

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durhamville NY
Credit cards & money in Seiffen

Hi all!

About to embark on a week-long trip to Seiffen, and could use some advice on how to prepare financially.

Specifically, does anyone know if the shops in Seiffen typically take credit cards?

Also, I am of course planning to bring some cash but wondered about how much would be reasonable (we'll be in Germany 6 days), as well as techniques that seasoned travellers might suggest (i.e,, travellers checks? regular cash?)

Thanks very, very much in advance for any help!

9 replies to this topic
Dresden
reviews: 2
1. Re: Credit cards & money in Seiffen

The bigger shops in Seiffen take credit cards, the small family-run businesses mostly do not. So bring some cash - Euro, of course. There is an ATM (Sparkasse) on the main street where you can get cash with your credit card (probably expensive) or debit card with PIN.

Forget travellers checks, hardly anybody accepts them anymore.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
2. Re: Credit cards & money in Seiffen

As eagle said. Get cash before you go to Seiffen, and be done with the problem.

Acceptance or non-acceptance of credit cards has nothing to do with quality. It's rather the small local businesses that offer the best products.

Travellers cheques have never been accepted by shops in Germany and nowadays even banks do not take them any more. Forget about them.

Durhamville NY
3. Re: Credit cards & money in Seiffen

Thank you both for the tips! I had a hunch this might be the case, and I certainly want to be prepared to support the small, local shops! :)

I mentioned Travelers Checks only as a logistical idea; I had thought I could cash them at a bank as needed, as opposed to keeping so much cash on hand, whether in the hotel or on my person. But maybe these are outdated now...? When visiting a smaller town like this, where credit card acceptance will be questionable, it better to just arrive with all the cash you need, do you think? I would like to avoid the expense of the ATMs if possible...?

Appreciate any and all advice - cant wait for the trip!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
4. Re: Credit cards & money in Seiffen

ATMs are the best way to obtain cash. Any way of changing money involves fees of some kind, and ATM fees certainly aren't the worst.

Durhamville NY
5. Re: Credit cards & money in Seiffen

Thanks again, very much!

One last, completely unrelated question for those in the know: we're staying in seiffen but would love to catch an opera or concert - any good opera halls within easy driving distance?

Thanks much!

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
reviews: 26
6. Re: Credit cards & money in Seiffen

Banks in Germany do not cash Travelers Checks.

The only places that cash them are money exchanges at the airport or large train station, or something called Reise Banks, which of course are the money exchanges in disguise. If you believe your bank is charging a high fee to use an ATM, wait until you see the fee that this Reise Bank charges as well as the horrid exchange rate they give.

As others have already posted, use an ATM for the best rate.

Dresden
reviews: 2
7. Re: Credit cards & money in Seiffen

Opera companies in 1-2 hours driving distance:

Dresden, of course (world class, but longest distance, the Don Giovanni is highly recommended) www.semperoper.de

Chemnitz (very good, too - often interesting productions beyond mainstream) www.theater-chemnitz.de

Freiberg (nice, traditional theatre with ups and downs musically, hardly an opera, only musical in the next weeks) www.theater-freiberg.de

Annaberg-Buchholz (another old theatre with interesting productions, musically pretty good, unfortunately not much opera in the next weeks) www.winterstein-theater.de

Dresden, Germany
8. Re: Credit cards & money in Seiffen

Shops in Germany, even if they accept credit card, in many cases they do not accept all kind of cards. Especially american express is a problem, sometimes even visa. I've even seen ATM without AE acceptance. Master Card is the best accepted here.

Durhamville NY
9. Re: Credit cards & money in Seiffen

Thank you all very much!

And eagle2002, especially appreciate the opera recommendations! Will try to see something, for sure!

Thanks again -- Chrissy

Reply to: Credit cards & money in Seiffen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted