We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any other place around Dresden worth going ?

Which Dresden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 6
Any other place around Dresden worth going ?

Hi , might be going Dresden for business trip in July and was thinking any place nearby that is worth going after my business trip ? was thinking of extending a few days to travel around the area , heard Prague is a nice place to go , any other nearby area ? Thanks

Hamburg, Germany
1. Re: Any other place around Dresden worth going ?

Berlin is not to far away either. The area aorund Dresden called Saxon Switzerland is great for hiking.

Singapore
2. Re: Any other place around Dresden worth going ?

Oh actually should rephrase my question , My cousin is there for business trip and I be tagging along :P. He had been there once and me will be first trip , so meaning I have all afternoons to myself while he is at work , so anything I can do along in Dresden and we plan to extend a few days maybe 3-4 days to travel around that area since am there already. He is more into historical buildings and stuffs , where I am into food , pastries and nature. A bit of shopping won't kill but not really into clubbing and stuffs. Thanks. Fyi we both dunno german/russian language.

Bautzen, Germany
3. Re: Any other place around Dresden worth going ?

Close to Dresden are several preserved towns. To Meissen, which looks like Prague in small, and Pirna, a cosy little town, you can go with a paddle steamer from Dresden. If you go to Pirna with the paddle steamer you pass Pillnitz castle. Other interesting towns are the miners towns in the Ore mountains, especially Freiberg, a completely preserved town with a nice cathedral, and Annaberg-Buchholz, whose church has the most beautiful Gothic interior of all Saxon churches. A bit more far away (1-2h by train) are the preserved towns of Upper Lusatia, Bautzen and Görlitz. Bautzen is the historic capital of Upper Lusatia and the Sorbs, a Slavic minority. Görlitz is probably the best preserved German town and hopefully soon a World Heritage Site.

If you enjoy nature you can visit Saxon Switzerland, a very picturesque area of bizarre rocks.

Here are a few galleries. Meissen and Freiberg:

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php…

And Görlitz and Bautzen:

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php…

Edited: 4:16 am, June 20, 2012
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
4. Re: Any other place around Dresden worth going ?

Here are mine:

Bautzen: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/129da/

Görlitz: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/eb77/

Freiberg: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/f6d5/

Leipzig: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/a548/

Chemnitz: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/1131a/

Seiffen: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/ab23/

Meißen: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/9743/

Pirna: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/6ed7/

Pillnitz Palaces: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/6f2e/

Moritzburg water castle: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/9146/

Bad Schandau: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/12ca7/

And finally Dresden itself: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/1091e/

... and this is just the shortlist. There is enough to fill several months to do and see in that area.

Singapore
5. Re: Any other place around Dresden worth going ?

Wow Thanks people ! will look through and ask again if any questions. :)

notengaarde
reviews: 1
6. Re: Any other place around Dresden worth going ?

Hey, That's funny ! I am a guy called Hein and I come from Holland ( country code :31 ). And I am going to visit Dresden in a couple of weeks so I posted some questipn on lonely Planet's Thorntree and one of the answers was directed to this site !!! Strange but funny.

7. Re: Any other place around Dresden worth going ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 23, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Dresden