We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage lockers on Mainz Train Station

Which Mainz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Larnaka, Cyprus
reviews: 12
Luggage lockers on Mainz Train Station

On our way from Frankfurt to Heidelberg we plan to stop at Mainz. There we have the option to choose either Hauptbahnhof or Roemisches Theater Station, which are, as I understand it, equally convenient for a leisure scroll around the city centre. Do both stations have lockers so to store our luggages and are there easy to find? Is there any other advantage of one over the other station?

4 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
reviews: 39
1. Re: Luggage lockers on Mainz Train Station

Römisches Theater is more conveniently located as it is close to the oldtown - but lacks lockers. They are only at Hauptbahnhof. Hop on a tram or bus from there to Schillerplatz.

Larnaka, Cyprus
reviews: 12
2. Re: Luggage lockers on Mainz Train Station

Thanks Oli, I suppose that the DBAHN Ticket Frankfurt Flughagen to Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof with a stopover in Mainz does not cover the cost for trams or buses on Mainz, is that right?

Mainz, Germany
reviews: 39
3. Re: Luggage lockers on Mainz Train Station

Not sure, but I don't think so. The ticket would be 1,60 EUR pP for that ride (2 stops) and you can buy it from a machine or a bus driver. But you may just as well walk from Hauptbahnhof. I suggest taking bus or tram though because the area is not the nicest of the city. It is perfectly safe and lively, just architecturally a mess and imho of no particular interest for visitors.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
4. Re: Luggage lockers on Mainz Train Station

I would drop bags at Mainz Hbf and just march toward the old town from there. It's actually only about 4 blocks from the Hbf through the somewhat bleak modern part of town to the nearest pedestrians-only walkway - from there on it's a traffic-free and very pleasant stroll to Mainz' main attractions.

This little map shows the Mainz Hauptbahnhof circled in red at the left. The pedestrian zone is in pink - look for "Steingasse" near the corner of Große Bleiche and Umbach - that's where your pleasant stroll begins. So just head out the main entrance of the station and take Bahnhofstrasse (located at about 1:00) in that direction.

…uni-mainz.de/koepke/…stadtplan.jpg

Reply to: Luggage lockers on Mainz Train Station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted