We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

Which Mainz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Metropolis, Illinois
Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

A Middle East looking guy who spoke German and English approached me and my friend. This was at the side door of the Domo near the W.C. He cornered us and informed us he was a local police and there was an ongoing operation in the area because they were looking for 4 men and a woman who were carrying fake US dollars. He showed a police ID. He insisted on searching our wallets and upon checking that there were no fake US dollars pretended to check the Euro we were carrying. He returned back the money. When he left I immediately checked the money he touched and half of the money was gone. We knew he was a fake but at that time we were 2 women and were scared he might have a knife or some colleagues lurking behind. There were no people yet in the side entrance at that time. I believe he works with a syndicate. BE CAREFUL IN MAINZ!

17 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
reviews: 37
1. Re: Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

And did you call the police??? Never heard of that scam, very sorry to read about it.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
reviews: 24
2. Re: Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

Why would you believe he works with a syndicate? What were the clues? You "knew" they were fake, but opened your wallets anyway?

Kelkheim (Taunus...
reviews: 30
3. Re: Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

highly unbelievable story!

And you did not report it to the police? The real one? ^^

Brussels
reviews: 9
4. Re: Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

<highly unbelievable story!>

I experienced something very similar in Prague just over 10 years ago.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
5. Re: Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

That some people try to pull this off, especially targetting foreign tourists, is believable. However, if the OP did not go to the police afterwards, s/he is helping the criminals getting away with that.

If you are a tourist from a far away country and do not know what the local police is or is not allowed to do, it is easy to be confused and to give in to the scammers' demands.

Mainz, Germany
reviews: 37
6. Re: Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

>However, if the OP did not go to the police afterwards, s/he is helping the criminals getting away with that.

That's exactly the point. I checked local newspapers and all and found nothing about similar cases in Mainz whatsoever, so I'd guess that the police is not aware of the issue - and will never be if victims don't report a robbery. Would be way more efficient than a post in a travel forum.

The only regular disturbance around the Dom I know of are the usual beggars (apparently from Eastern Europe) and a couple homeless who are harmless and well known to locals.

Kelkheim (Taunus...
reviews: 30
7. Re: Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

I am living not far from Mainz and never ever heard anything about any scam of this sort in our newpapers or on the radio.

That's the sort of story they would LOVE to report.

If it happened the way the OP described, it is unlikely that she was the only victim. Where are the others and why is nothing in the papers or even in the (public) police report? I checked it.

Wiesbaden, Germany
reviews: 3
8. Re: Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

A similar scam was reported in Wiesbaden (local newspapers and police reports) about a year ago: people who claimed to be plain-clothed detectives approached tourists, flashed ID, and said they needed to check their wallets for counterfeit euros.

Probably not a scam you would fall for back home, but travelling makes people more vulnerable.

Thanks to the original poster for the heads-up here.

Please, could you also report it to the Mainz police?

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 28
9. Re: Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

thats a bit harsh! there are gullible people in every country in the world, including poland!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 36
10. Re: Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!

Although i also believe that the incident should be reported to the police, let's see, after being robbed you are supposed to waste your precious vacation time dealing with the police for hours? That's adding insult to injury! Especially when you know nothing is going to come of this as there are reasons that foreign tourists are chosen as prey besides their naivete, they won't be around if the case is ever prosecuted. I'm a strong believer that tourists should just avoid places that harbor pickpockets and scam artists that prey on foreign tourists. If tourist would quit going to Barcelona and Rome, then the authorities would quickly respond in an effective way to stop the problem and keep it from recurring. But how much pressure is put on the police to solve these problems if the local people aren't affected and the tourist dollars keep coming?

Reply to: Warning ROBBED in Mainz by fake police!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted