We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mainz trip report

Which Mainz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
reviews: 49
Mainz trip report

Sorry this report is so late, we traveled at the end of September but have been so busy. We arrived in Mainz after an overnight flight from the USA to Frankfurt. We took the train from Frankfurt airport. We were nervous about our first train ride in Europe but found it very easy. After landing we went to the lower level of Terminal 1, purchased our tickets for the Flughafen Regional to Mainz. It took us about 30 minutes.

We got off at Mainz Hauptbanhof and decided to take a taxi to the Hilton Hotel on the Rhine instead of walking. It took us about 10 minutes to get there and cost us 8 Euro.

After checking in we changed and went exploring. We started out walking along the Rhine, then walked towards Old Town. Old town is only about 4 blocks from the hotel.

We visited Romerpassage, and St. Stephan’s Church and did some souvenir shopping.

We returned to the hotel for a beer for me and a cognac and coke for my husband.

We showered and changed and went out for dinner. We were headed to Heiliggeist for dinner which was recommended on Tripadvisor. I had the restaurant and address written on a piece of paper and we were waiting for the light to change to walk and a nice gentleman on a bike next to us saw the paper and told us we wanted to head in the other direction for the restaurant which we thought was very nice of him. Everyone we came across in Germany were helpful and friendly. When we got to Heiliggesist there were only a few people in the restaurant because it was early but we were hungry and still on USA time. Food was great and the waitress was very nice explaining any questions we had.

2 replies to this topic
Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 61
1. Re: Mainz trip report

Thank you. We will be there next summer

New York
reviews: 77
2. Re: Mainz trip report

As an ex-Pittsburgher (a Breezer), I know great cities. Mainz is small, but super for a layover. The street signs are different colors to indicate whether they run parallel to the Rhine or to or from, so it's easy to orient oneself. When I get there, I get off at the Roman Theater station and walk to the Ibis or the Hyatt - depending on my budget. Then north through the wonderful old town towards the cathedral. Great shopping, old churches, outdoor markets, unique shops (especially mid-priced, unique jewelry) and reasonably priced restaurants - with great local wines. Frankfurt offers more, but the "more" part does not help if the layover is short.

Reply to: Mainz trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted