We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Into Hahn and have day & half to travel - car or train for 3

Which Mainz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dayton, Ohio
reviews: 50
Into Hahn and have day & half to travel - car or train for 3

We will be flying into Hahn and our 17 year old would like to see Berg Eltz. We fly out of Frankfurt on the 6th and have a hotel the night of the 5th. We need to figure out if we should rent a car to see the area and visit Berg Eltz or take the transfer to Frankfurt and then take a train.

Also where to stay for 3 adults for the night of the 4th.

Any help is appreciated! My son speaks German and I would love a family run hotel.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Into Hahn and have day & half to travel - car or train for 3

You could stay overnight in Cochem.

http://www.cochem.de/tourismus/en_index.php

You can get there directly from Hahn Airport. Bus #750 to Bullay train station, train to Cochem.

www.hahn-airport.de/default.aspx…

www.airportshuttle-mosel.de/AirportHahn/

For this route the tariff of the local public transport association applies. With three persons a mini group day ticket is with EUR 21,20 cheaper than single tickets.

vrminfo.de/en/…

From Cochem its just 17 minutes by train to Moselkern. From where it's an easy 40 min walk to Burg Eltz.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
2. Re: Into Hahn and have day & half to travel - car or train for 3

Completely agree with abalada's suggestion.

If you want a private-home B&B, Frau Hilken's place in Cochem's old town is wonderful. 2 doubles and one single room there. Have your son call her to reserve - she's elderly and doesn't do English or computers but she knows how to serve up a fine breakfast. Figure 20-25€/person.

Gaestehaus Hilken

Loehrstrasse 20

56812 Cochem/Mosel

Tel. 02671 / 3234

Walk to Burg Eltz:

bensbauernhof.com/burgeltzfrommoselkern.html

Strongly suggest you take in the falconry show at Cochem's Reichsburg Castle. Walk uphill from Frau Hilken's place to the castle. Shows are at 11, 1:00, 2:30 and 4pm (no shows on Mondays.) See photos:

falknerei-reichsburg-cochem.de/fotobuch.htm

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
reviews: 2
3. Re: Into Hahn and have day & half to travel - car or train for 3

Will you come this week.? Burg Eltz only opens on 24/03. It is a spectacular view even from the outside but maybe not worth the effort given your limited time.

Dayton, Ohio
4. Re: Into Hahn and have day & half to travel - car or train for 3

thank you all and I will have my son call as we are going in July and will use all your suggestions. Vielen Dank!

Dayton, Ohio
5. Re: Into Hahn and have day & half to travel - car or train for 3

I have tried the number many times and even my German student who is visiting tried and still we constantly get a busy signal no matter the time of day. Are you sure this is a good number?

Thanks,

Cingplaces

6. Re: Into Hahn and have day & half to travel - car or train for 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 18, 2014