We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt to Paris via 3 days in Rhineland by train and YHA

Which Rhineland-Palatinate hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
reviews: 7
Frankfurt to Paris via 3 days in Rhineland by train and YHA

Hi, we are looking to stay in a castle (budget or YHA), to have a short one way cruise up the Rhine, and stay at another town (north of the previous one). Then head to Paris via Koln. Open to other suggestions of great things to do, or routes to take. Thanks guys for any help/advice.

Brisbane
1. Re: Frankfurt to Paris via 3 days in Rhineland by train and YHA

Hi again, forgot to mention our trip starts 13 Nov 2013, in case this affects any advice. Thanks.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
2. Re: Frankfurt to Paris via 3 days in Rhineland by train and YHA

Scheduled cruise boats typically run only through October. It's too cold after that to draw much interest from cruisers. I'd suggest using the trains - they're warm and follow the river bank on both sides, so you'll have a great view.

Bacharach's Burg Stahleck is a castle-hostel. But IMO you would probably enjoy staying in a larger town where there's more going on at that time of year, when daylight hours are short in number and there's little to do in the villages in the evenings. Mainz would be a good choice - and there's a hostel there, though it's a bit far from the center. I'd pick Koblenz if you want to also explore the Mosel River. Ehrenbreitstein fortress/hostel lies outside Koblenz but might work for you if you don't mind a steep climb; there's a train stop nearby for outings.

Or you can skip the sleep-in-a-castle idea, get a room closer in, and visit a castle instead. Marksburg Castle in Braubach (about 10 minutes from Koblenz' main station by train) has no beds but it's open all year and has a very good 1-hour tour.

Brisbane
3. Re: Frankfurt to Paris via 3 days in Rhineland by train and YHA

Thanks Russ. One of our party has a 'lifelong dream' to sleep in a castle so I think we'll be going to Baccarach! :)

I did see this timetable re cruising in November Russ.... http://www.kdrhine.com/rhineschedule.htm If I am reading it right there is a 10am from Rudesheim finishing in Boppard at 12.30 with Bacharach in the middle. Better to start at Rudesheim and get off at Bacharach then slow train north, or do Rudesheim to Boppard and back track to Baccarach? Thanks

4. Re: Frankfurt to Paris via 3 days in Rhineland by train and YHA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 10, 2014