Hello fellow travellers
My husband and I are travelleling to Düsseldorf primo May to visit with our son presently living there. While staying with him, we would like to do an "oldfashioned" 2-day/1-night tour of the Rhine-Mosel area, something we really haven't taken the time to do previously although having visited Germany countless times. Looking at the map we are, however, greatly in doubt as to which route we should take, which Towns/villages to visit and what Little cruise to include. Do, therefore, hope that you can assist me.
For your info, husband and I are seasoned international travellers in our early 60th and our son and daughter-in-law approx. 30 years old. We'll be travelling by Means of our son's car and plan to stay overnight at some romantic Little Bed&Breakfast, guesthouse or hotel with more emphasis on the location and atmosphere than star-rating. We'll start and commence in Düsseldorf. Our interests lies primarily in experiencing the beautiful nature of rolling Little mountains dotted with Castles and wineclad hillsides, strolling Little Towns/villages with cobbledstoned lanes and picturesque halftimbered houses. We are not much into the deeper culture and hence churches, art galleries and museums are generally not something we'll linger long at. However, we'll love to visit vinyards and do winetastings and we'll definitely like to include a brief cruise on the river. Finally we need to emphasize that we are not too fond of mass tourism and feel so sad, when we visit beautiful Places dotted with souvenir stalls and cheap bargains just for tourists. We would like to experience the most authentic, less spoiled and most beautiful areas. Based on said info, where would you recommend us to go? And what to see?
Here are some of our considerations - but please, please give us your suggestions as this is entirely based on "what we have heard only"...
1) Should we choose entirely to travel along The Rhine? And if so - is Rüdesheim as far as we should go South?
2) Should we choose to put emphasis on La Mosel in stead? That is - turning off in Koblenz and drive as far as to Trier?
3) Will it be possible to do a "triangle" - that is, driving along the Rhine to Rüdesheim, cross somehow? to Trier from there and then return via the Mosel river?
4) We should like to do a 2-3 hrs. Rhine Cruise. Which one would you suggest us and from which town? Is passing Lorelei a "must" - or are there better brief cruises meeting our criteria?
5) In which town would you recommend us to make our overnight stop?
6) Which Towns and villages would you recommend us definitely to visit?
7) For visits to winyards and wine-tasting, where should we go?
Sorry for the many questions. But we'd like to get the utmost our of our precious time and two days are really not that long a time when there is so much to see. Your suggestions are highly valued. Looking forward to hearing from you. Kind regards - PURPLE