We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

“Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

Which Dusseldorf hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
“Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, February 14, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
reviews: 338
1. Re: “Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

Sorry for your experience. Duesseldorf is one of the least racist cities in the world! Are you aware of the history?

ZB

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
2. Re: “Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

Could you please explain what really happened? So far this is too vague to be understandable.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
reviews: 1
3. Re: “Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

Germans have a tendency to stare at people who look 'strange' to them. This is not meant in a racist or negative way really but they do it without inhibitions.

Perhaps you were wearing special clothes?

Edited: 9:55 am, February 13, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Destination Expert
for Hamburg
reviews: 15
4. Re: “Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

"they do it without inhibitions."

you could also call that curiosity.

Quito, Ecuador
5. Re: “Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

Hi, thank for your answer, we were dress very normally, we are normal people, we travel across a lot of cities, we were in Berlin, Paris, and most of Italy, we spend a great time, and we have a lot of very positive experiences al over, thats why we wanted to close our trip with our last afternoon, in Dusseldorf, so we arrive, left things in the hotel, and then took the metro to the center, when we arrive we have a very nice reception at the hotel, the woman who attend us was very kind, and also she gave us a very nice room, due to the low occupation of this month, then we went to take the metro and also we find there a very nice lady that tolds us how to arrive to the center, I was buying the tkts in the train and my youngest daughter sat down beside of a woman, the woman who was around her 60s almost jump of the sit, when she saw my daughter siting there, I have to tell you that we are very clean and normal people, we never have a problem like that in the rest of the cities we have visited. then we arrived to the citi center, it was saturday, there were a lot of people walking, it was very easy to almost bump with others, and when accidentally, almost bump with a lady, even if we say sorry, she stear us very ungry, then we went to walk around and we enter in shopping center, we ate, curry wurst and then went to HM to buy a few things that we needed, before arriving home, in the store, we have the same kind of situation a lot of time, people were very annoyed with our precense, if you say sorry to someone they just look at you angry without saying nothing, it was funny because we were spending money in thier city, and even the cashiers were very unfriendly, then we went to starbust cafe, we bought something and then decided to go back to the hotel, because we didnt feel very confortable, when arrive to the train, I had to buy tkts for the way back, and when I cross the corridor to the machine, my daughter saw that one older gentlement was making faces like saying who is that person, in my opinion most of the situation were with adult people from 60 and up. the conclusion is that we really felt very unconfortable when we visit the city.

Best regards

Carmen Laso

6. Re: “Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, February 14, 2014
Quito, Ecuador
7. Re: “Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

I dont know the correct word to explain, I didnt bump on then, the thing is that when you are walking, and you touch accidentally other person, not because you want, but because there is a lot of people walking at the same time

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
8. Re: “Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

So nobody said or did anything, it is just the expression on a couple of faces that you consider "racist" and a reason to warn people not to visit a city. Germans are not eternal smilers. I think you are overreacting. A lot may be owed to differences in the norms of behaviour. People here keep more distance around them than you are probably used to. So how full was the S-Bahn? If you squeeze into the seat next to someone although there are several empty double seats/benches around, this person will feel uncomfortable or even threatened - this is the way potential pickpockets behave. Ditto for bumping into others, we rarely do that even in crowded streets.

Quito, Ecuador
9. Re: “Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

Then you normally, say sorry, because this is polite, and normally dont espect to receive something negative fron other person, and dont touch the others because you want, normally is an accident, and this is one of the situations we had, but, the unkind treatment that we have even from the cashiers from HM, I have to tell you that this is not for far my first trip, i have been in a lot of places, even in Germany, I have been in Hamburg, Hannover, Wolsburg, Cologne, Munich, Berlin, Basel and never ever, have a problem, just talking about Germany

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 77
10. Re: “Unfriendly reception for foreign people in Dusseldorf”

This may be just a simple issue of differing customs. Germans are kind of formal in their manners, which can be misinterperated. They tend not to be outwardly friendly to strangers on the street. In shops, efficiency and accuracy is valued, not overt friendliness.