We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with thwarted plan

Which Dusseldorf hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 79
Help with thwarted plan

Originally we decided to get flights to Cologne and stay in Cologne at our favourite hotel the Coelner Hof for our dates which are August 23rd through August 26th. Couldn't get flights in to Cologne Bonn with a good return time on the Monday 26th August but can get ideal flights in to Dusseldorf so problem solved we though until we found out the Coellner Hof is booked is fully booked for all but one night of our stay, so we have decided that if we accept the flights into Dusseldorf it would make sense to stay in Dusseldorf after all it's a nice city. We need to act quickly and secure a decent hotel, I've done some research on the Altstadt hotels and they seem to be either way over budget (we want to pay around 100-120 euros per night) or from the reviews would not be somewhere we would enjoy staying. Can anyone suggest a hotel within around a 15 minute walk of the Altstadt which is clean and within budget? We won't have a car and are prepared to walk more than 15 minutes during the day but would prefer to have bars/restaurants within a reasonable walking distance in the evening. It's over 20 years since we visited Dusseldorf so I am finding it hard to remember where places are in relation to the Rhine and the Altstadt. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bottrop, Germany
reviews: 89
1. Re: Help with thwarted plan

Hi suewick, nice to see you again, and hopefully you will stay healthy till your trip:-))

I checked some hotels for you but they are either over your budget (Hotel Orangerie, Stage 7) or not available for this time (Carat).

I found this hotel, it´s somewhat basic (from outside) but in a good location and the reviews aren´t bad

http://www.sir-astor.de/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187373-d2365…

There is another nice hotel in Oberkassel but you would have to cross the bridge all the time to get to the Altstadt (and back)

http://www.hotel-hanseat.de/

Have a nice trip

patara01

Edited: 8:01 am, August 02, 2013
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
2. Re: Help with thwarted plan

I had already looked at the Sir & Lady Astor and have it on the "possible" list, so great minds think alike! Others I had looked at and are on the possible list are The Hotel Berial and The Auszeit. The hotel Hanseat looks ideal but how long is the walk from the hotel across the Rhine to the Altstadt? I tried to work it out and reckoned about 25-30 minutes which isn't too far if the weather is nice and if there are bars and restaurants closer to the hotel for night time it could be the answer.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
reviews: 366
3. Re: Help with thwarted plan

Take a look at Garden

Suitbertusstr. 22, 40223, Düsseldorf - Bilk/Hafen

Go to www.hrs.com. Good location. You can walk or ride the tram 5 minutes.

ZB

Bottrop, Germany
4. Re: Help with thwarted plan

You are right, it´s about 30 min by walking, or just hopping on the tram:-). There are no real clubs between the hotel and the Altstadt, just small and often quaint or fancy shops and cafes/bistros, and very posh old villas. I like this area but I´m not sure if it is convenient for nightlife.

The hotel Auszeit is within about the same distance from the Altstadt but a little closer to the Media Harbour,about 35 - 40 min.

Hotel Berial is in a perfect location! Just about 15 min, and you are very close to the park "Hofgarten", the Kö (Königsallee, high end price shops)), the Schadowquarter (many "normal shops), the museums and of course the Altstadt and the Rhine.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
5. Re: Help with thwarted plan

I lived in this area for five years. It is very convenient to Altstadt and does not take 30 minutes to walk there! The tram runs right outside and takes 5-10 minutes.

ZB

Bottrop, Germany
6. Re: Help with thwarted plan

Do you talk about the area around the "Auszeit" or the "Garden"? I don´t know the latter.

But I suppose that you know the distance better than me, as you have lived there:-))

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
7. Re: Help with thwarted plan

Mission accomplished! Flights booked with flybe and the Hotel Berial booked on their own web site, I prefer to book direct rather than using a booking agent. Luckily their web site's translation into English was good so I didn't spend ages thumbing through my antiquated German dictionary trying to book a room LOL! Thanks to both of you for your great help.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
8. Re: Help with thwarted plan

I lived on Karolingerstrasse,, jsut down the block from the Garden Hotel.

ZB

Bottrop, Germany
9. Re: Help with thwarted plan

You´re welcome, and I don´t think that you will go wrong with this hotel. I try to book my hotels directly too, if possible.

Maybe you had noticed that some years ago I wasn´t so really keen on visiting Dusseldorf, but then I gave it a try and now I spend a lot of time there:-))

If you have the time, you should take the U79 to Kaiserswerth, a very nice district with scenic old houses and the Kaiserpfalz

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiserpfalz_Kaiserswerth

Enjoy your trip

patara01

Edited: 2:52 am, August 03, 2013
Bottrop, Germany
10. Re: Help with thwarted plan

@zabriskibound: I think that I haven´t been in this area since many years, is it worth a visit?

Get answers to your questions about Dusseldorf