We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurail validation in Dortmund Airport or Holzwickede station

Which Dortmund hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Eurail validation in Dortmund Airport or Holzwickede station

Hi,

I will be arriving in Dortmund airport in the morning and would want to validate my eurail pass before I travel to Muenster. Is it possible to activate the pass at the Dortmund Airport or the Holzwickede train station? Or would I need to travel to the main Dortmund station to activate it?

Thanks.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Eurail validation in Dortmund Airport or Holzwickede station

Does not really make any sense to use an Eurail Pass for this rather short hop. Single ticket Holzwickede to Münster is EUR 15,50 (Münsterland-Tarif / Ruhr-Lippe-Tarif). And this ticket covers also the buses in Münster - something a rail pass won't.

There is a counter at Unna train station, the next stop after Holzwickede (EUR 2,60). Combined, i.e. shuttle bus to Holzwickede train station (EUR 3,00) plus ticket to Unna (EUR 2,60) less than the airport express bus to Dortmund Hbf (EUR 7,00).

The direct RE trains Holzwickede - Münster have normally a conductor on board. You can also ask him/her if he/she can validate your rail pass. You have to actively approach the conductor. E.g. at the door where he/she is waiting for the departure of the train. The train will stop however only for 1-2 minutes. Important is not to give the impression that you're looking for a free ride. That's not well received.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
2. Re: Eurail validation in Dortmund Airport or Holzwickede station

Thanks a lot, abalada!

3. Re: Eurail validation in Dortmund Airport or Holzwickede station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 17, 2014