We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

Which Dortmund hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warwick, United...
Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

Hello there. We are visiting next month and have to get a train from Dusseldorf airport into Dortmund with Manchester City FC. Can you tell me how frequent the trains are and at what return cost?.. Many thanks. Simon

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

VRR timetable

efa.vrr.de/vrrstd/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2…

To: Dortmund, Westfalen Stadion

There are no return tickets. If you travel on match day the trip will be covered by your match ticket. To the stadium in Dortmund and back to your hotel (no matter if in Dortmund or Düsseldorf). The match ticket (or any other day ticket) is valid till end of service which includes the dedicated night services. Thus so approx. till 4am next day.

If you stay overnight in Dortmund and take a train back to the airport next day you need VRR price level D tickets. Single ticket is EUR 12,40. Mini group (up to 5 persons) day ticket is EUR 36,50.

VRR tickets (incl. your match ticket) cover regional trains, S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams and buses. Long distance trains like IC/EC or ICE are not covered.

Warwick, United...
2. Re: Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

Thankyou very much. We are staying overnight in Dortmund so all very helpful info..

Vernon Hills
reviews: 25
3. Re: Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

Dear Abalada, you mentioned Match ticket. I can research online, but I'd appreciate your telling me in about it a few words. Is it a sensible alternative to other types of tickets? Are there also match tickets for mini-groups?

We, a party of 4, are traveling from Brussels to Essen, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Bonn, and wanted to also see Dortmund in 1 day from Dusseldorf or Essen.

We are then flying back home from Cologne-Bonn airport.

Could you give some useful advice, please?

1. Where to make a base city? Or should we stay 1 day in several of these? We will be there for 3-4 days.

2. Where is it easier, cheaper, and convenient to stay (city, type of lodging - hotel, B&B, apartment, etc.)?

3. What kind of transportation is the most convenient and affordable between these cities (including from Brussels)?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Brighton, United...
4. Re: Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

I am thinking of going to Dortmund vs Leverkusen in December and staying in Dusseldorf. Is it the same for league games? Is my train too and from Dortmund covered by the match ticket?

Vernon Hills
5. Re: Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

Hi AP1988.

I do not know the answers. Nobody answered my questions, and we did not go there yet. We will go in October, but now I can't say anything. We will rent a car.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 2
6. Re: Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

>I am thinking of going to Dortmund vs Leverkusen in December and staying in Dusseldorf. Is it the same for league games? Is my train too and from Dortmund covered by the match ticket?

Yes it will. On the day of the match you can use all public transport in the VRR area.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 2
7. Re: Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

>Dear Abalada, you mentioned Match ticket. I can research online, but I'd appreciate your telling me in about it a few words. Is it a sensible alternative to other types of tickets? Are there also match tickets for mini-groups?

A match ticket is a ticket to a (football) match. It coincidentally also covers public transport in the surrounding area on the day of the match. But if you are not going to watch football you don't need to buy a football ticket, there are cheaper way to get around... Yes there are minigroup tickets within VRR (Düsseldorf-Essen-Dortmund area). 36.50 € for up to 5 people - see above

1. Where to make a base city? Or should we stay 1 day in several of these? We will be there for 3-4 days.

Düsseldorf is the most central for your visit has most to offer as a city, along with Cologne. The rest is easily reached by train from Düsseldorf. Essen and Cologne are 30 min by train from Düsseldorf, Bonn and Dortmund will need slightly above an hour (in opposite directions)

>2. Where is it easier, cheaper, and convenient to stay (city, type of lodging - hotel, B&B, apartment, etc.)?

It is an extremely difficult question as it really depends on what you want to do and mainly on your group. For a family I would look for an apartment, for two couples probably better two hotel rooms.

www.hrs.de

duesseldorf-tourismus.de/en/accommodation/

3. What kind of transportation is the most convenient and affordable between these cities (including from Brussels)?

prebooked cheap tickets from Brussels to Düsseldorf

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

(book ASAP)

Regional trains within VRR (www.vrr.de or http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml for schedules)

>We will rent a car.

This is a quite bad idea as your cross border car rental will cost you a fortune and the Ruhr basin / Rhineland is heavily urbanized area with dense public transportation network and a LOT of cars competing for limited parking space.

Essen, Germany
reviews: 86
8. Re: Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

I´m glad that altamiro has replied to all your questions, I´m always clueless how it works with match tickets and public transport.

As to the base, I would perhaps stay at Düsseldorf too although it might not be the cheapest choice.

If you aren´t fussy, there is a hotel in the center of Düsseldorf, it hasn´t the best reviews but a friend of mine and her group have stayed there recently, and well , it was pretty rund down and basic but ok for only a few nights. They paid about 60 or 65 Euros for a double room.

Hotel an der Oper

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187373-d2365…

Vernon Hills
9. Re: Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

Dear Abalada, absolutely bestd etailed reply! Thanks!

Vernon Hills
10. Re: Visiting Dortmund by train from Dusseldorf Airport

P.S. Dear Abalada (or anybody who knows), do you know if the bus from Brussels to Cologne-Bonn is a cheaper alternative to the train? Some 5-7 years ago the train from Brussels to Paris was about 120 E per person, so we took, I believe, Euro-Bus that ran apx. 4 hrs but cost us 23 E/person. Great difference!

Thanks in advance.