We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Father-son trip: two days in Cologne

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, New York
reviews: 90
Father-son trip: two days in Cologne

Four of us will spending two days and an two overnights in Cologne in mid-June. We are staying at the Hotel Casa Colonia. Are there any "must see" places for us? By the way, all are adults over 21.

8 replies to this topic
Köln
1. Re: Father-son trip: two days in Cologne

There are no "must-see" places in Cologne except the Cathedral. Apart from that, nobody here knows your interests, so how is anybody supposed to give any recommendations? It is easy to find a list of top sights for any destination here in Tripadvisor and at many other places on the web. Do some research yourself and come back with more specific questions.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
reviews: 1
2. Re: Father-son trip: two days in Cologne

Why did you pick Cologne?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Cologne
reviews: 22
3. Re: Father-son trip: two days in Cologne

Grolland, I assume like many other traveller that he has heard good things about Cologne. While I agree that there are other places there that are more beautiful than Cologne, I find the ongoing questioning of the reason people choose the city a bit strange.

Back to the OP, as Aichberger mentioned the cathedral is a must. In additon there are interesting museums in Cologne, lots of beautiful churches (nealry at every other corner), or some nice walks along the river Rhine, the Old Town and the other parks to explore. But it depends what you are interested in. Sitting in a pub and watching people in the Old Town can be a nice way to relax.

Mid-June is the start of the World Cup, so if Germany plays while you are there, there might be again some public viewing areas, which could be an interesting place to visit. While some people do not like it, I usually love the atmosphere when Germany plays. A pub visit might also be a good choice then

Also, do not miss visiting one of the many brewery houses to try the local beer Koelsch and the local cuisine. There a a few in the Old Town, of which Iwold highly recommend Paeffgen and Malzmuehle. But it would be worthwhile to head to one away from the Old town.

Albany, New York
4. Re: Father-son trip: two days in Cologne

We had heard that Cologne was a nice place to visit. I had left my original post a little vague because I was hoping to read others thoughts on the city. We are interested in bars and restaurants and the local kolsch, of course. But we also enjoy history and art. I think a sightseeing trip on the Rhine would be interesting.

Paris, France
reviews: 6
5. Re: Father-son trip: two days in Cologne

Hey jelmwood. Cologne and the region offer you a great occupation for two days. If I were you I would visit one day the city of Cologne (Cathedral,Pub,Streets,Museum ) and the other day I would visit the region of Cologne. I would take the boat down the rheine. You can choose between Bonn and Düsseldorf. In Bonn the landscape is more hilly. You have their a nice old medival castle which you can visit by taking the boat down the hill.Bonn is a little city which was the capital of Germany.Beethoven,Macke,Haribo and other people and things come from Bonn. The city is old and built of Art nouveau houses. You have a lots of interesting museums and attraction to visit here. Düsseldorf isn't so hilly as Bonn. Düsseldorf is really known for his famous "KÖ". A famous street where you can find all the designer shops.Moreover you have a big japanese community in Düsseldorf. Unfortunately was it bombed like Cologne during the WW". SO you haven t got so much old houses.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Cologne
reviews: 22
6. Re: Father-son trip: two days in Cologne

If you are interested in history I would highly recommend the German-Roman museum next to the cathedral, it is a great place to see a lot of the Roman history of Cologne.

A complete different museum is thr NS Documentation in Cologne - a memorial place for the victims of the NS, and also to highlight the history of ghem in Cologne. it is located in the former headquarter of the Gestapo in Cologne.

museenkoeln.de/ns-dokumentationszentrum/…

The Walraff museum is also a very popular place to visit.

The river Rhine trip from Cologne is not very exciting in comparison the part further south of Cologne. While the trip to Linz is pleasant, I am not sure if it is worthwhile while in Cologne for only two days.

As mentioned earlier, just walking along the Old Town, visiting the churches or just sitting outdoors will all add something to your trip in my opinion.

Cologne, Germany
reviews: 26
7. Re: Father-son trip: two days in Cologne

The Cathedral is a definite - you can climb the tower as well, if you feel fit enough. A walk along the Rhein up to the Chocolate Museum is nice, lots of restaurants, cafes and old town houses along the way, also a nice cafe at the Chocolate Museum. Looking towards the Chocolate Museum along the Rhein, you can see a new/modern development - tall crane shaped buildings - these are apartments and offices - maybe worth a photo or two. There's a mustard museum opposite the Chocolate Museum, but I haven't been in there, so I can't say if it's worth going or not. When returning, walk back along the Rhein until you reach the old town area, then have a wander through there - again lots of restaurants etc. I quite like Peters Brauhaus - very traditional - and good rustic, German food, as well as local beer, Kölsch. The Town Hall is very pretty (also in the Altstadt area. The NS Dokumentation Museum is very interesting, also the Karneval Museum as Cologne Karneval is a huge part of Cologne culture. This church is quite interesting, and just a 5-10 minute walk from the Dom, …wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Cologne - it has a small room, The Golden Chamber containing what are believed to be the bones of the 11,000 virgins of St Ursula from the 12th century - they are placed on the walls of the chamber in a decorative/artistic way.

Main shopping areas are Hohe Strasse and Schildergasse, along with Ehrenfriedstrasse and Mittelstrasse. Do stop for coffee and cake - a big part of German culture - there's a nice cake shop opposite the Dom/Cathedral entrance, Cafe Reichard (it's a bit kitsch!) - delicious cake, and really nice toilets, also another just off Hohe Strasse, Cafe Eigel (more modern), they have a big selection of cakes - always delcious - there's seating outside both of them - although a much nicer view at Cafe Reichard. The ice-cream cafes are also really good (don't buy ice-cream at the German cafes) - run by Italian trained ice-cream makers, so definitely worth a try - they're dotted around, so just get one as you wander through the City. If you fancy a kebab - the shops are usually run by the Turkish, so try a Turkish pizza mit fleisch - delicious! and take some baklava home if they've got some.

The Philharmonie is a nice place to see a show - www.koelner-philharmonie.de/veranstaltung/…

Something to do with your loved ones is to take an engraved padlock to the Hohenzollernbrücke at the train station and padlock it to the railings. :)

I can't say there are a lot of 'must-sees' in Cologne. There is a zoo, and a cable car that crosses the Rhein nearby, but not particularly exciting, plus the boat rides on the Rhein, but I find them incredibly boring, but each to their own. Mostly, wander, sit, eat, and enjoy the atmosphere.

Edited: 8:51 pm, March 22, 2014
Albany, New York
8. Re: Father-son trip: two days in Cologne

Thank you very much.

Reply to: Father-son trip: two days in Cologne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted