We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
reviews: 15
Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

Good day to all.

After an absolutely horrible experience at Peters Brauhaus tonight, I'm hoping this forum can come through for me (again) and possibly help with a recommendation for a restaurant.

We need something very near the Dom (unfortunate, I know, but reality, as our travel companions cannot walk far and also aren't keen on taking public transportation.) It's our last night in Cologne and we would very much like to end it on a high note. This is the first time our travel partners (my husband's parents) have been to Europe. We had a good experience at Hof 18 (above Fruh) and a wonderful one at the Haxenhaus. We'd like to have German or German-based food. (But maybe not another brauhaus.) I was considering Alter Waartesaal, but it's been 2 years since I've been there and we only sat outside, never went into the restaurant itself. (Sitting outside isn't an option this time around.) Budget is flexible, but we don't want to break the bank either.

Would anyone be kind enough to offer any info on Alter Waartesaal or have other suggestions to offer?

Vielen dank!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Cologne
reviews: 21
1. Re: Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

I have never been to the Ater Wartesaal for food, so cannot comment. There are a few good restaurants in the Old Town, but is maybe not as close as you hope to. I hear that the Gaffel amd Dom is good (only went there for a few Koelsch, and never had the food) while it is a brewery house, I think it is slightly more upmarket than Frueh or Peters.

Otherwise the Stappelhaus on the river Rhine usually had good food (haven't been there for a few years). At Heumarkt you can find also a good Italian (XII Apostel) or steak house. I could alos recommend Walfisch, which is a small brewery house next to Paeffgen, but far more personal than the big brewery houses, and the food is usually very good there.

Also, could you tell us about your visit to Peters, it is always gopd to hear some feedback about the places tourists often go to

Essen, Germany
reviews: 79
2. Re: Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

Yes, it would be interesting what you didn´t like.

I was there last year with a friend from US and we both liked the interior very much, the service was ok (a little Köbes manner) but the food wasn´t great. It was pretty bland (or touristy:-)) But we noticed that many tourists seemed to be content.

Meanwhile I have been at Früh twice and at Sion once, and the food has been much better at both!

I would suggest "Oma Kleinmann" for simple German food but It´s too far away from the Dom area.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Cologne
3. Re: Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

I have to admit, I am not a big fan of Peters either, with the points Patara mentioned, and it is not one of my favourite Koelsch either. I am also avoiding Sion as well (don't know any of my friends who go there), but good to hear that they apparently can provide good service and food, Patara.

And Patara, if you haven't been there, I would recommend the Walfisch (Suenner Brauhaus) for dinner, I really like the food there with good service.

Essen, Germany
4. Re: Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

Is the Walfish open for lunch too? Because I´m normally just there for day trips and go back around 6 or 7 PM.

Germany
reviews: 16
5. Re: Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

Walk down to the rhine front where you find some good restaurants,

If you like a Brauhouse : Gaffel am Dom is ok , good food , but nothing special

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Cologne
6. Re: Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

Patara, it is open from 11am on weekends, during the week they open at 5pm (on Friday at 3pm).

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 78
7. Re: Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

I want to know what was horrible about Peters, it's a couple of years since I have eaten in there but I have never had cause for complaint. I'm not defending it, just curious.

Essen, Germany
8. Re: Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

My complaint has only been about the food.

Well, if you don´t have any comparisons you might like it perhaps. But I have never aten such a bland "Sauerbraten" or such a bland blood sausage (Himmel un Erd). It wasn´t like I know it from my own kitchen and from many restaurants before (and after:-).

My friend from US had aten Sauerbraten sometimes before and she was just a little disappointed too.

The service was ok, nothing special but just some "cool" and flippant Köbesse though, not really unpolite or bad.

Normally a typical Köbes has to be somewhat stroppy and grumpy but in a special manner. I can´t describe it in English, sorry:-)) But many Köbesse are just unpolite and rude.

Edited: 6:27 pm, June 15, 2013
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 78
9. Re: Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

It is actually 3 years since I ate in Peters (I forget the chicken pox Christmas), perhaps I have a tourist palate but I enjoyed the Himmel und Erd and the service was good, but things change and it's good to know that. We are considering a long weekend in Cologne shortly, which is why I am lurking. We have to apply for new passports then when they arrive and flight prices are right it will be all systems go!

Essen, Germany
10. Re: Restaurant recommendation near the Dom

I remember very well your chicken pox, lol.

It´s a splendid idea to come to Cologne for a break. It´s not only worth a visit during Christmas market time:-))

It might be different with our tastes concerning German food:-) EG you can get blood sausage everywhere but there are huge differences. Or a decent Sauerbraten, this might be very different too. The same with Schnitzel, Haxen, Rouladen, Schweinebraten ASO. I´m probably somewhat picky:-))