We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cologne Short Break

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Cologne Short Break

Hi,

I am travelling by Thalys from Paris to Cologne and will be in Cologne from 28-Nov to 1-dec

Could you tell me the best things t odo.

I would like to visit the fairy tale castle in BAvaria.

Is it possible to do this in a day trip from Cologne.

Its my first time in germany and I am more interested in castles, scenic beauty.

Pls advice.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Cologne Short Break

Hi

Go somewhere else. Cologne is a scenery free zone. Bonn, just up the road is much nicer. If you haven't yet booked your train then start researching another destination.

Bavaria is a long way from Cologne.

Sorry to say all this as it is your first visit, but as you haven't yet set off it's not to late.

Cologne is ideal for the shopper not the lover of beauty.

Sorry

Jackie

Scotland
reviews: 18
2. Re: Cologne Short Break

Hi,

agree that there are more attractive places that Cologne, but it's not all that bad.

the Lundig and Romisch museums are excellent, and the Chocolate museum is great fun.

the old town (Altstadt) is interesting, if quite small. lots of brauhauses where you can drink Kolsh to your hearts content. There's a great looking jazz place (who's name I can't remember) in Buttermarkt (I think).

Koln has great shops and has loads abd loads of cafes, bars etc.

One other word of warning. There is a lot of wroks going on just now. Don't know what - looks like a new tram or metro route. These works are right in the centre and I'm afraid are spoiling the appearance of the best bits of Koln at the moment.

I found Bonn a little disappointing, but it's ok for a short visit.