We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-mainstream foods availability

Which Hannover hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, CA
reviews: 13
Non-mainstream foods availability

We are planning a trip to the region in a few months time. I follow a low-carbohydrate, high fat, dairy free, moderate protein way of eating. Will I starve in Germany? ...just kidding. i am trying to decide if I should pack my own coconut oil, hemp seed, chia seed, nut oil, almond or peanut butter, almond milk. Do they have farmer's markets like they have in the U.S. states where I can pick up fresh greens and berries? Are pesticides an issue in Germany? We will be in an apartment for about a week and then hotels for the remainder time. I'm thinking of taking my magic bullet.

Oakland, CA
1. Re: Non-mainstream foods availability

Oh....just one more. I take Apple cider vinegar on a daily basis, is that readily available in a big food store? Thanks for all you help!

Hamburg, Germany
Destination Expert
for Hamburg
reviews: 15
2. Re: Non-mainstream foods availability

>>Oh....just one more. I take Apple cider vinegar on a daily basis, is that readily available in a big food store?

Yes.

>> i am trying to decide if I should pack my own coconut oil, hemp seed, chia seed, nut oil, almond or peanut butter, almond milk.

You can get most stuff in the ordinary supermarket, maybe not all stock everything especially when they are a bit smaller, but definitely available.

Or you look out for organic supermarkets as Alnatura (there is one directly in the city centre in Hanover, which just opened last week) or Denn's or other health food shops (Reformhaus as we call it).

And yes, we have farmer's markets. There are often called "Wochenmarkt" e.g. in Hanover there are around 25 all over the city - list in German hannover.de/Kultur-Freizeit/…20

Edited: 4:20 pm, June 24, 2013
Oakland, CA
3. Re: Non-mainstream foods availability

Vielen Dank Michaela_2404 !!

I hope that was correct. We are studying Pimsleur Conversational German via CD and it is just so fun, especially for me, since i was born in Gelsenkirchen. Unfortunately, I was not encouraged to speak my mother tongue, when growing up (but the sound is familar in my head,) after my parents emigrated to the U.S. My partner who is from Puerto Rico likes this method of learning as well. I would highly encourage anyone spending time in a foreign country to pick up one of the Pimsleur learning programs on CD, they are just fabulous.

And thank you also, for the link to festivals and concerts for Hannover this summer. I can't wait to surprise my sister-in-law who will be traveling with us this year!

VQ

Munich, Germany
reviews: 2
4. Re: Non-mainstream foods availability

Well, if you are worried about pesticides, you just have to buy "Bio", which means organic food. They even have it in large supermarkets, but there are also special shops where they sell it. There's the "Bioladen", where everything is organic. They have all kinds of food. And there's the "Reformhaus", where most of the food is organic, but not all of it. (The Reformhaus is the older version of a special food vendor, and it's basically for people who have to avoid certain products for health reasons.)

You'll find almond milk and peanut butter without problem, at a Reformhaus or Bioladen. I'm not sure about your other oils though. I mean, I'm sure you could find them in Hannover if you spent enough time looking for them. If you'd rather go sightseeing, better bring them with you.

Edited: 2:07 am, June 25, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Destination Expert
for Hamburg
reviews: 15
5. Re: Non-mainstream foods availability

>>You'll find almond milk and peanut butter without problem, at a Reformhaus or Bioladen. I'm not sure about your other oils though.

You find almond milk and peanut butter even at the ordinary supermarket these days I know that for sure as I buy these products myself being an ovo vegetarian.

Alnatura has a good selection of oils and the Hamburg stores definitely have nut oil, hemp seeds and coconut oils as I buy these things once in a while too, and usually the stores have the same/similar selection so I am pretty sure it is rather easy to get this stuff without spending too much time.

Oakland, CA
6. Re: Non-mainstream foods availability

Danke Shon Michaela_2404 und Petra F.

I put together some recipes I make here at home, and may bring some of the more unusual ingredients with me in my checked luggage. I don't really like to cook, but I like to eat well, so I make do. We have foods here in the U.S. that are on the dirty dozen list, like strawberries, spinach, celery, apples, to name a few, that should be purchased organic because of the high use of pesticides in the farming. Vegetables like potatoes, zucchini, and raspberries are fine not purchased organically. My sister-in-law, who is traveling with us will be delighted to hear about the natural foods, as she is a big supporter of organic foods. Me, I try to see what works in the budget.

7. Re: Non-mainstream foods availability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 14, 2014