We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada connect Frankfurt - Hamburg to Amsterdam - need visa?

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lethbridge, Canada
Canada connect Frankfurt - Hamburg to Amsterdam - need visa?

Hello,

I am flying to Amsterdam using Air Canada to go from Calgary to Frankfurt and switching to Lufthansa where I will fly Frankfurt to Hamburg, then Hamburg to Amsterdam. I booked all flights on one ticket and was told that my bags will be checked through to Amsterdam because the 2 airlines are both in the Star Alliancew. Now the dreadful part - I have also just been told that I will need a transit visa because I am connecting through 2 German countries. I leave in 2 days and I do not have time to get this ... Any knowledge on whether this visa is truly required, and the process of connecting through 2 German countries would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
21. Re: Canada connect Frankfurt - Hamburg to Amsterdam - need visa?

Ok let me re-word this; you would be in need of a transit visa if you need a visa to enter Schengen.

UK
reviews: 26
22. Re: Canada connect Frankfurt - Hamburg to Amsterdam - need visa?

"Ok let me re-word this; you would be in need of a transit visa if you need a visa to enter Schengen."

Still wrong. No such thing as a transit visa in this scenario. Just a (single) visa to ENTER Schengen. No transit involved.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
23. Re: Canada connect Frankfurt - Hamburg to Amsterdam - need visa?

Nothing wrong here. If your citizenship requires a visa to enter Schengen, then you would still not need a transit visa to just pass through with one stopover but need one for passing through with two. Coming to visit is another matter entirely.

UK
24. Re: Canada connect Frankfurt - Hamburg to Amsterdam - need visa?

"Nothing wrong here. If your citizenship requires a visa to enter Schengen, then you would still not need a transit visa to just pass through with one stopover but need one for passing through with two. Coming to visit is another matter entirely."

I think you're getting confused here. We are talking about someone travelling TO a Schengen country, not about someone in transit through a Schengen airport to a destination outside Schengen.

There are no transit visas for transiting one Schengen country to enter another Schengen country. And it doesn't matter how many Schengen countries you pass through on your way to your final destination. You just need ONE visa to enter Schengen.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
25. Re: Canada connect Frankfurt - Hamburg to Amsterdam - need visa?

Aviatrix, its you who gets confused here. What you state here is obvious and has very little to do with the regulations excerpt quoted by OP - which only relates to layovers in Germany and to people not travelling to a Schengen country but merely changing planes here. It does not apply to OP since s/he does not need a visa anyway.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
26. Re: Canada connect Frankfurt - Hamburg to Amsterdam - need visa?

...and since Schengen territory is not only a point for layover but actual destination too, obviously.

UK
27. Re: Canada connect Frankfurt - Hamburg to Amsterdam - need visa?

altamiro, this thread is about someone whose end destination is in Schengen. All this talk about transit visas is just completely irrelevant as there is no transit involved. And perhaps it would be best if both your posts and my posts were removed as all this exchange is doing is confusing things and wasting time.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
28. Re: Canada connect Frankfurt - Hamburg to Amsterdam - need visa?

Hopefully the OP is now happily in Amsterdam with a big spliff :-)

29. Re: Canada connect Frankfurt - Hamburg to Amsterdam - need visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Frankfurt