We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Frankfurt

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 86
Travel to Frankfurt

I am visiting Frankfurt for a Trade Fair in June. I am flying into and out of Zurich, am hiring a car and have 10 days to explore before I have to be in Frankfurt. I would love some advise from fellow trip advisors. I am undecided as to whether to drive to Frankfurt via Geneva, Paris and Reims or whether to drive via Interlaken to Prague then to Frankfurt.

What I am hoping to get out of my holiday is snow-capped swiss alps, beautiful countryside, a bit of culture (a castle and cathedral or two), good wine, good food and some interesting driving. I am very tempted by Reims as I am a champagne lover. But my husband is a quarter Czech and has never visitied. So I am also torn by that. It is my first time in Europe - won't be the last - we are in our mid 40's and for us it's about beautiful scenery rather than a hopping nightlife.

I would be eternally grateful for some advice ... our flights and car hire are booked, our first night in Zurich and our nights in Frankfurt - other than that we are opened to suggetions.

Thanks

Melisa

New York
reviews: 87
1. Re: Travel to Frankfurt

This seems like an odd travel plan to me. There's a straight line from Zurich to Frankfurt that takes you through beautiful country with some of the best food and wine in the world. I would stick to 50-75 miles either side of the Rhine and wander up though small wine towns, the Black Forest, Stuttgart, Strassbourg, Colmar, etc. I would stay in the little country restaurants that offer rooms at reasonable prices and personal attention. The Red Michelin Guide has a map showing the best (not expensive) regional food restaurants.

Köln
2. Re: Travel to Frankfurt

Even if it's your first time in Europe i would spare out Paris. it deserves a visit on its own. Same for Prague. As RobLaw47 said, I would take a more or less direct route. I would see Zurich, then at any rate skip Geneva, which is the opposite direction and not soooo terribly interesting. As an alternative to what RobLaw47 suggested, you could head for Lindau, Memmingen, Munich, Regensburg, Nürnberg, Bamberg, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Würzburg to Frankfurt. This trip would be around 750 kms mostly on Autobahns, so you don't lose to much time for travel.

New York
reviews: 87
3. Re: Travel to Frankfurt

The alternative offers more interesting cities but longer route and less emphasis on food.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
reviews: 79
4. Re: Travel to Frankfurt

There are are a billion interesting things to do in Europe, and I think your ideas are not that ambitious that they were not possible. I'd say both are very nice options. You might want to toss a coin....

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
5. Re: Travel to Frankfurt

Have a look at what in #1 of tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187276-i703-k5059… . Just do the trip in reverse, as it is on the direct path between Zurich and Frankfurt. That's a lot of great places to visit, and although these places are excellent, they won't be over-run by tourists such as places along the Romantic Road and in the Black Forest.

If you venture a little further east, then there is: Lake Constance ( www.bodensee.eu ) with the loveliest town on the lake being Meersburg ( www.meersburg.de ) which also has Germany's oldest castle; the Swabian Alb ( www.schwaebischealb.de ), our favorite area of Germany- mountains with lots of castles, caves and excellent cliffside scenery ( www.donaubergland.de and www.grosses-lautertal-alb.de both only in German); Upper Swabia ( www.oberschwaben-tourismus.de only in German), our second favorite area of Germany with Germany's most beautiful Baroque churches and monasteries and home to the Baroque Route; and a little further east the Romantic Road.

Slightly further west are the Black Forest ( www.schwarzwald-tourismus.info ); and Alsace, France with Strasbourg and all the excellent small towns and villages along the Alsatian Wine Route.

There is no lack of interesting places to visit along a more or less direct line to Frankfurt without having to deviate all over the map.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 86
6. Re: Travel to Frankfurt

Thank you so much everyone - this exactly the sort of advice I was after. What you are all saying makes a lot of sense and I think we have pretty much decided to take your advice. Thanks so much marcopolko - I am definately going to follow your suggestions. What did people do before the internet and a world of good advice from experts at their fingertips???

I am hugely appreciative of your help everyone.

Thanks so much

Melisa

7. Re: Travel to Frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:41 am, June 18, 2013