We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your opinion on my 5 day Berlin itinerary ;-)

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro...
Your opinion on my 5 day Berlin itinerary ;-)

march,9 (sunday)

· Checkpoint Charlie (30minutes)

· Gendermenmarkt (1h)

· Unter den Linden (1h)

· Holocaust Memorial (01:30)

· Brandenburger Tor (45)

· Reichtag (1h)

· Natural History Museum (01:30) closes at 18h.

march, 10 (monday)

· Kunsmarkt Strasse 17junni (1h)

· Tiergarten (1h)

· Gemaldegalerie (2h)

· Neue National Gallery (01:30)

· Filmmuseun (worthy for a 1st time tourist?)

· Potsdamer Platz (30min)

· Topography of terror (worthy for a 1st time tourist?)

march 11th (tuesday)

· Alte Gallery

· Bode Museum (2h)

· DDR “ (1h)

· Fernsehturm (worthy to get up there? Might have a huge lane) (15min)

· Alexander Platz (1h)

· Markishes Museum (1h)

· East side gallery (1h)

march,12 (wed)

· Berliner Dom (30)

· Altes Museu (02:30)

· Neues Museu (02:30)

· Pergamon (02:30)

· BebelPlatz (00:30)

march, 13th (thu)

Postdam (Berlin Free Walking tour?)

Missing including those places (worthy, can I manage to visit at night?)

Koncerthauz

· Kreuzeberg à noite.

· Scholls Charlotensburg

· Gedenkstatte

THANKS A LOT!

7 replies to this topic
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
reviews: 75
1. Re: Your opinion on my 5 day Berlin itinerary ;-)

I think you would be far better taking a Walking Tour on your first morning (several are recommended in the Thngs to Do link in the green bar at the top - from this link go to 'activities' for choices) You will see many of these places on a tour and you can then go back (with some idea of where they are in relation to each other / how to get there) if you wish to spend more time there.

If you wish to go inside the Resichstag you need to book a tour in advance (highly recommended) thought you may now be limited with your time options since it your travel dates are so close

This is a pretty jam-packed schedule and I suspect that after a while you will be museumed out - do allow yourself some time just to 'be' in Berlin and absorb the atmosphere

Houston, Texas
reviews: 270
2. Re: Your opinion on my 5 day Berlin itinerary ;-)

I agree with a few walking tours that would eliminate a bunch of items on your list that you seem to have timed to your schedule. And no way would I do these 3 museums all the same day.

Altes Museu (02:30)

Neues Museu (02:30)

Pergamon (02:30)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
reviews: 54
3. Re: Your opinion on my 5 day Berlin itinerary ;-)

Another vote for doing the tour first for familiarisation.

You seem to have allocated quite a lot of time to what are just city streets or squares. Checkpoint Charlie is a crossroads, though there is a a museum and outdoor exhibit which could take quite a lot of time. But Gendarmenmarkt is just a square and if there's not something happening, or if you're not going to see either of the churches, I'd be hard-pressed to spend an hour there. Same with the Brandenburg Gate and Alexanderplatz.

Do be aware that Unter den Linden is a huge construction site and will be for a few years. It's not the pleasant boulevard it used to be.

Finally, doing three of the largest and richest museums in Berlin in one day feels exhausting just thinking about it.

London, United...
reviews: 10
4. Re: Your opinion on my 5 day Berlin itinerary ;-)

For a 5-day visit you've planned enough for at least 10 days.

If you do one of the walking tours, as has been suggested, you'll be able to tick quite a few of these off your list. The "Famous Insider" tour, or the equivalent Berlin Walks tour, will take you past many of them, and walking past them is really about all you need for Checkpoint Charlie (though some like the museum and you may want to return to it) Gendarmenmarkt (it's beautiful, but it doesn't take long to see that) the Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag, Bebelplatz and more.

Google "Insider Tours" and "Berlin Walks" for details.

That leaves the museums, and here you really have a problem. Berlin's main museums are some of the best in the world, as you obviously know, and clearly you want to see as many of them as you can. But it's simply not possible to go through the Altes Museum, the Neues Museum, and the Pergamon Museum in one day: if you try, you won't be able to take in what you're seeing after the first couple of hours. After that, you'll be ready to go somewhere else and do something completely different. So if you want to visit all three, you should space out your visits, do them on different days.

The same goes for the Bode Museum and the Alte Nationalgalerie; and the Gemäldegalerie and the Neue Nationalgalerie.

Now just a few random comments:

I'd skip the Märkisches Museum. Not that it's not interesting - it is - but I don't think it is a priority for a first visit.

Ditto the Filmmuseum, unless you are a film buff, in which case you need plenty of time for it.

Unless you plan to do some shopping there, I don't know what you're going to do for an hour at Alexanderplatz - it's just a huge concrete space, one of the ugliest bits of Berlin.

You can walk through Potsdamer Platz in 5 minutes on your way to the Gemäldegalerie. On the other hand, if you want to explore the Potsdamer Arkaden (hundreds of shops) or the Sony centre, you need more than half an hour. But you might want to go up the Panorama Punkt, which has just as good a view as the Fernsehturm, without the lines.

You will see the beautiful Konzerthaus when you walk through Gendarmenmarkt on the walking tour or on your own.

The Topography of Terror is indeed worth seeing, in fact I think it is essential for anyone who wants to understand a little about the 12 years of Hitler's Reich. But you would need a lot of time for it: at least 3 hours, so perhaps it will have to wait for your next visit. And just resign yourself to the fact that you can't see everything on one short visit. You'll have a much more enjoyable time if you scale your thoughts down by about half.

Edited: 7:27 am, February 23, 2014
Washington, DC
reviews: 8
5. Re: Your opinion on my 5 day Berlin itinerary ;-)

Agree with others to take a basic walking tour would help on your schedule. The Topography of Terror was one of the best things we did in our trip to Berlin but as others have said we were there 2.5-3 hours. I would think about things on your list that you must do and then a list of things that would be nice to do. Take some time to just enjoy the city and have a fabulous trip. I did not get to do everything I wanted to do on my recent trip so that gives me a reason to return to Berlin.

Rio de Janeiro...
6. Re: Your opinion on my 5 day Berlin itinerary ;-)

Iam91897, Alabastron, Darrenmcc, Jordansbulls and Thmoore. I'm really thankful for all time spent and the insights of yours respectful replies.

I`ll go back to the chair and study more considering them for my new itinerary.

London, United...
reviews: 10
7. Re: Your opinion on my 5 day Berlin itinerary ;-)

You're very welcome. Once you've got your new itinerary sorted, please do come back if you have more questions.

Edited: 5:56 am, February 24, 2014
Reply to: Your opinion on my 5 day Berlin itinerary ;-)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted