We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hostel to stay?!?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 69
Which hostel to stay?!?

Hello everyone!

It is my first time visiting Belgium so I am pretty clueless!!

I am flying in from Tegal airport and I am deciding between airbnb or these 2 hostels below...

I used goggle map but the directions seemed so complex!! :x

Can you help me decide which hostel is better in terms of convenience and travelling around?

PLUS Berlin

Warschauerplatz 6-8, Berlin, Germany

OR

Wombats City Hostel Berlin

Alte Schoenhauser Strasse 2, Berlin, Germany

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
1. Re: Which hostel to stay?!?

Wombats is the better area in many respects, and is also more central, and closer to most of the things that as a first time visitor you are likely to want to see and do. I would also consider the Circus, and City Stay,

Singapore, Singapore
2. Re: Which hostel to stay?!?

Thanks!

The airport transfer seemed rather complicated on google map. Tell me I'm wrong to think that way? Haha :)

Berlin, Germany
reviews: 27
3. Re: Which hostel to stay?!?

No, not really. It's quite simple: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187323-s301/Berlin:G…

From Tegel airport it is bus TXL to Alexanderplatz station. You can walk to the City Stay from there or take the underground either to the Circus or Wombats.

If you want to stay in the PLUS in Friedrichshain take the S-Bahn to station Warschauer Strasse from Alexanderplatz.

By the way, Berlin is in Germany not Belgium...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
4. Re: Which hostel to stay?!?

LOL. Leitstrahl. :0)

Liyuan, I would really suggest staying at citystay, wombats, or the circus. All are in much better areas for a first visit and you will enjoy yourself more, I think.

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Which hostel to stay?!?

Oops sorry!!!

I must have mixed it up because I wanted to visit Brussels initially :p

Thanks for choosing for me!!

I'm also considering airbnb for accommodation... Location varies of course.

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: Which hostel to stay?!?

Oops sorry!!!

I must have mixed it up because I wanted to visit Brussels initially :p

Thanks for choosing for me!!

Indeed city stay area sounds better. Lesser transit too :p

I'm also considering airbnb for accommodation... Location varies of course.

N it's usually outside Berlin which is easily accessible by train/bus.

What do u think?

Berlin, Germany
7. Re: Which hostel to stay?!?

Liyun86, which locations do you have in mind "outside Berlin"?

There are plenty of apartments offered on airbnb that are within the centre of the city. Or did you mean outside the area of "Mitte" (as it is referred to here on Tripadvisor)? Can you be a bit more specific or give examples?

Edited: 2:56 am, January 08, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: Which hostel to stay?!?

Hi!

I saw these 2...

1. Maybachufer, Berlin, Berlin 12047, Germany

2. Elsenstraße, Berlin, Berlin 12435, Germany

( Busstops are directly outside (Bus 194, Bus 104, Bus 167 & N94). Treptower Park S-Bahn is just down the street. Rathaus Neukolln U-bahn is 15 minutes walking. )

Berlin, Germany
9. Re: Which hostel to stay?!?

These are pretty much inside Berlin.

Maybachufer is famous for its Turkish market on Tuesdays and Fridays. That would be right in front of your door, if you want to stay there on the sunny side of the canal. So called "Kreuzkölln" is a lively area with trendy bars and an upcoming clubscene. Turkish and Arabic influences characterize this part of Berlin since many immigrants moved to these Gruenderzeit quaters next to the former wall in West Berlin from the 1950s.

Easiest way to get there is taking bus 128 to Franz-Neumann-Platz. From there take underground line U8, direction Herrmannstraße and leave at Schönleinstraße. It's only a short walk from there.

The one in Elsenstrasse is in the middle of nowhere.

It is a residential area close to the (beautiful) Treptower Park and the nursery where I get my plants. Nevertheless, if you walk about a kilometer along the river starting at the so called Treptower (the highest office building in Berlin), you'll reach the "Arena" with its Badeschiff (swimming pools in a barge on the river Spree). Also around are the pups, restaurants and clubs in Wrangelkiez in Schlesiche Strasse and Wrangelstrasse in Kreuzberg and the northern part of Lohmuehlen island with some hidden treasures opposite the arena.

You already found out how to get there. It's by S-Bahn from Alexanderplatz and you'll have to change trains at Ostkreuz station.

Both locations are a bit off the beaten tracks, but will give you a very good impression what Berlin really is about...

Littleton, Colorado
reviews: 41
10. Re: Which hostel to stay?!?

My husband and I,both senior citizens, will be making our first trip to Berlin at the beginning of August. It will be the first stop of a 3 month trip through Central and Eastern Europe, Turkey, Israel and Jordan. We have already booked 5 nights at the Generator Berlin Mitte largely because of the price but saw NO reviews on TA for the hostel. That makes me more than a tad uneasy though. When we were traveled for 3 months from Iceland through to Cambodia this past fall, we stayed exclusively in hostels and guesthouses recommended by other travelers on TA apart from a few airbnb places .

There would be no penalty for us to cancel at the Generator if you or other people familiar with hostels in Berlin think we should stay instead at Wombats or Citystay? The Circus was full for the dates we needed. Any comments or suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Annie B.