We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 89
Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden

I would appreciate any and all advice on the best way, on what website, and best time in advance to book two tickets from Berlin to Prague with a stopover for two days in Dresden.

We plan to travel from Berlin (after a one-week visit in Berlin) to Dresden on Saturday morning, May 25, and then from Dresden to Prague on Monday morning, May 27. Several posts I have read indicate that about three months ahead is the best time to book, so I hope my question is timely.

Do we book the two trips separately or together? And how?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

9 replies to this topic
Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 3
1. Re: Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden

Go to www.bahn.com

Select "further booking options" in the booking box on the top left side.

To: Prag

VIA: Dresden Hbf stopover time: 45:00 (or what ever you want, but I think it has to be less than 48 hours)

The travel time displayed will then include your stopover so don't be shocked.

The best connections on direct trains depart between 12 and 1:30 pm in the respective city. I entered your dates and there are saving fares available for €39 per person for the whole trip from Berlin to Prague, including the stopover.

You can book as early as 92 days in advance (your dates are in that time frame already). Saving fares tend to sell out quite quickly, so you should book as early as possible.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2. Re: Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden

Thank you, YoungTraveler, for this very helpful information.

Do you think there is any need to reserve seats for either trip? We will have one large suitcase each, so we prefer to look for seats fairly close to them when we board.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 24
3. Re: Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden

You can reserve seats, but you won't be able to choose your seats like in an airplane. You won't know what type of train it will be (even assuming you can deduce that certain lines will be using a particular type of train, by searching the internet). So, the possibility of getting a seat near the luggage area is near impossible. What I usually do (depending on the type of train) is to place my luggage between the seats (if possible), or put it into the overhead rack (if the weight is such that you can manage that yourself).

There are some photographs of the ICE train (if you are getting this train) on this site

http://www.ice-fansite.com/

Frankfurt, Germany
4. Re: Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden

The connection with no changes to both cities is on an EC train.

There might be some ICE connections, but they will usually involve changes.

And yes, I would recommend to reserve seats, just to be on the safe side, it's only a few bucks and you will have guaranteed seats, next to each other, if travelling with multiple persons.

Edited: 2:01 pm, February 26, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
5. Re: Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden

Thank you again, YoungTraveler. I just registered on the Deutsche Bahn internet booking system and purchased our tickets for both trips, which are on EC trains with no transfers needed.

I am very happy with the excellent saving fare and ease of use of the website. We also were able to reserve window seats facing each other.

Frankfurt, Germany
6. Re: Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden

You're welcome! Enjoy your trip to Europe and your train ride.

Melbourne, Australia
7. Re: Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden

Hi

I am having trouble getting the arrival at Dresden & departure from Dresden to show on the Itinerary I must bee keying something wrong, even though I am following the advice of the provisos posted info for time Iam typing in 06.00 ( 6 hours)as a stop over

I also know that they are released 3months in advance is it due to my dept date of 30/04/14

with the 8.46 dept time from Berlin on an IC/ICE train

please help

Thank You

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
8. Re: Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden

> typing in 06.00 ( 6 hours)as a stop over

you have to type in 06:00 (hh:mm)

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden

Thank You - I was typing 06.00 & not 06:00 - got the dots wrong !!

Reply to: Train to Prague with Stopover in Dresden
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted