We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good gym to lift in for Berlin...?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 12
Good gym to lift in for Berlin...?

Hi TA,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good gym to train at while I am in Berlin, I am staying at the 180 hostel

one80º Hostel Berlin

Otto-Braun-Straße 65

10178 Berlin

Looking for a place to workout in while I am there, I am more into gyms than fitness clubs.

Thanks as always to anyone who replies.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
reviews: 54
1. Re: Good gym to lift in for Berlin...?

This is where I come into my own - my nickname is Deadliftbear :-)

Most gyms in Berlin are more fitness-oriented chains unfortunately - Fitness First and McFit are the two biggest and don't particularly welcome holidaymakers. As you've said you're after a gym I will assume you're a serious lifter who knows what a deadlift is, and how to squat.

My clear recommendation is XXXL - Die Schmiede. It's a bit of a hike from where you are near Alexanderplatz but by public transport it's about 25 minutes - take the M4 direction Falkenberg and change at Antonplatz for the M13 direction Virchow-Klinikum, and get off at Behaimstrasse. Walk in the same direction as the tram to Langhansstrasse 123.

Die Schmiede is a proper meathead gym. There are two flat benches, an incline and a decline bench, a decent squat rack with a platform for deadlifting, a whole range of leg equipment and a good selection of big guys training hard. A day pass is €10 but you can get a 10-visit card if you are going to be in town for a while. This is where I train when I'm in Berlin, and it's 35 minutes from my apartment.

Athenry, Galway...
2. Re: Good gym to lift in for Berlin...?

It looks serious how much for 3 months membership

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
3. Re: Good gym to lift in for Berlin...?

I honestly don't know. A 10-visit card is €60 but gyms in Berlin tend to be fairly inexpensive. I'd say you're looking at €50 a month maybe. Email them and ask, info@xxxl-dieschmiede.de

If you don't speak German, ask "Was kostet bitte einer Anmeldung für 3 Monaten?"

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Good gym to lift in for Berlin...?

You can find a few gyms in Berlin on http://www.gymaround.com. They have places such as Holmes Place, Aspria and more. These clubs welcome travelers and you will get discount on the gym visit with GymAround!

Edited: 9:35 am, September 26, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
5. Re: Good gym to lift in for Berlin...?

Hmm two posts both promoting a website.... I'm tempted to mark that as advertising.

And I'd never refer to Holmes Place as a gym. it's a fitness club.

Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 12
6. Re: Good gym to lift in for Berlin...?

darrenmcc hey I never said thanks, the gym kicked butt. I first went to some place closer to my hotel and they made me use a towel and the plates were multiple colors. I nearly threw up. XXXL - Die Schmiede was a great relief. Thanks again!

7. Re: Good gym to lift in for Berlin...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 28, 2014