We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for a 10 year old heading to Berlin in dec

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
reviews: 1
What to pack for a 10 year old heading to Berlin in dec

Hi ppl I was wondering if any cud give me some advice, my daughter is heading to Berlin at beginning of December and I have not a clue what sort of things to pack for her to ensure she stays warm! She obv wants to look trendy but also be warm can anyone help?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
reviews: 78
1. Re: What to pack for a 10 year old heading to Berlin in dec

I;m guessing whatever she wears at home in December would be fine as far as being trendy, just add another layer and make sure she has a good coat and waterproof shoes.

Northern Ireland
2. Re: What to pack for a 10 year old heading to Berlin in dec

Awk thanks some ppl have informed us its much colder etc so before I went panick buying I thought I'd ask :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
3. Re: What to pack for a 10 year old heading to Berlin in dec

It's generally colder in Berlin in the winter than in the UK but if you pack clothes like for a cold spell at home that should be fine. She needs layers in any case as inside places (sights, museums, shops) it will be warm.

And don't forget a scarf, gloves and something for her head.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
4. Re: What to pack for a 10 year old heading to Berlin in dec

What Lynda said, plus pay attention to shoes. If it is snowy and icy, the ground will be very cold underfoot, so thick soles for warmth and cushioning, and deep tread to help avoid slipping are needed. She probably won't find them trendy, but they'll keep her comfortable and safe.

The weather can vary. I've made two January visits to Berlin. In 2011 the temperature never rose above zero Celsius, and went as low as minus 8-10; and there were mountains of snow. In 2012 there was no snow, and it was warmer than it had been in November: between 4 and 8 C. You won't know until you check the forecast a day or two before departure, but it's best to be prepared for cold.

Edited: 11:41 am, November 19, 2012
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
5. Re: What to pack for a 10 year old heading to Berlin in dec

Tell her that this winter's fashion trends in Germany involve (they really do, I'm not making this up):

- knee-high boots, with (tight) pants/jeans tucked into the boots,

- or ankle-high shoes/boots combined with knitted gaiters,

- huge scarves, fabric or knitted, wrapped around the neck, loop scarves being the absolute hit,

- woollen hats.

With these she can be trendy AND warm.

Put some insulating inlay soles into her boots, they make an enormous difference.

Colorado Springs...
6. Re: What to pack for a 10 year old heading to Berlin in dec

Well, you got good clothing advise.

On the enteretainment side: Be sure to visit the KWD department store (Kaufhaus des Westens). Really a sight to behold around X-mas time.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
7. Re: What to pack for a 10 year old heading to Berlin in dec

Otherwise more familiarly known as KaDeWe. :-)

Boots would be fine as long as they've got good, deep tread. But they are unlikely to, and good hiking/trekking shoes would be better. I speak from painful experience of an icy Berlin January. My trekking shoes saved me many slips and slithers, but even their deep tread was no match for the sheet ice on which I broke two ribs. A smooth-soled shoe or boot is asking for trouble.

Edited: 6:27 pm, November 19, 2012
8. Re: What to pack for a 10 year old heading to Berlin in dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, December 16, 2013