We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls vet my Berlin itinerary

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 95
Pls vet my Berlin itinerary

Hi

My better half and me are in Berlin between April 21 and 24, 2012. We've booked ourselves at Hotel Melia on Friedrichstrasse.

I would want help with vetting my Berlin itinerary:

April 22: Morning - third reich tour , lunch and then we wish to take the Air Balloon in the evening

April 23: Morning - cold war bike tour followed by an evening visit to the reichstag

April 24: At Kurfurstendamm before we take the overnight train to Munich

We do not like too many museums and our orientation is surely some history, culture and shopping.

Is this itinerary feasible? Does anything necessarily need to be added especially when it comes to history (world war, cold war etc etc)

Will the weather at that point of time historically help walking / bike tours?

I would like comments

Guthrie, Oklahoma
reviews: 21
1. Re: Pls vet my Berlin itinerary

I'm not sure what your tours cover, but consider a visit to Treptower Park. I'll be in Berlin next week and it's a must-see for me. Sure, it's basically a monument to Stalin's USSR, but the sheer size and scope of the thing is remarkable. From an historical perspective, it's Soviet glorification in a scale that can't be seen in many places in the world.

Another site that people often skip is Bernauer Strasse. I'm not sure how it affects others, but when I stand atop that observation tower, I can picture those people running and jumping through barbed wire to gain their freedom. It's a sober, poignant place for me.

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 6
2. Re: Pls vet my Berlin itinerary

There are some great and really different tours called Unterwelten http://berliner-unterwelten.de/home.1.1.html

I did an english tour through a bunker last year (I'm from Germany, my boyfriend Costa Rican) but they offer many different tours where you really get to see places (cold war, or second world war) that normally you don't get to see. Mostly underground :-) The guide was great, funny and we learned a lot.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
3. Re: Pls vet my Berlin itinerary

You should make time for the Topography of Terror, which tells the whole story of the rise of Hitler's Third Reich.

berlin
reviews: 7
4. Re: Pls vet my Berlin itinerary

They all make very good suggestions, but given the fact that you have only two and a half days in Berlin, I don't think that adding too many sites - as interesting as they are (and I agree with all suggestion) would make sense. The Bernauer Str Memorial is covered in most Cold War tours I could think of.

I do have two comments:

* I think you don't let yourself get a general overview of the city, something that might later even let you change your plans (if you feel that you have covered specific themes or topics enough, or are intrigued to "get some more")

* KuDamm is certainly not worth a whole day, not if you have only three days.

What I would do if I had only two-three days:

April 22nd - not a specific Third Reich tour, but a general historical tour like Insider Tours' "Famous Walk". These cover well sites from both Third Reich and Cold War. Afternoon: strolling around the cool area around Hackescher Markt, or use the fact that this is Sunday and there are special flea markets, and visit one of them (e.g. Street of the 17th of June). Balloon Ride: is really weather/wind dependant. I am too much of a coward (or: motion sickness challenged) to try it myself, so you'll have to tell me

April 23rd - either Third Reich or Cold War specific tour. Here, if you really feel that you have covered on the Famous Walk all you might want to see on a more topic-specific tours, you can consider going on the underground tours. However, for me, this is something for "advanced visitors" - it seems silly to me to go on an underground tour when you haven't covered important sites over the ground. Since the underground tours (some of them at least) take no more than 90 minutes, you might be even able to squeeze them in the afternoon.

April 24th - the second topical tour, KuDamm (with a bus, e.g. the 109 leading to the palace. It is a shopping street), Charlottenburg Palace (even to see from outside and stroll a little in the gardens, if you're not really into palaces, but it is fascinating) <--- small note: if you do plan to get in, check opening times, it might fit better on Monday, on either one of these days,Monday or Tuesday, one of the wings is closed)

Museums that might be interesting for you:

- The Information Centre under the Holocaust Memorial (closed on Mondays, so either the 22nd or the 24th)

- The Jewish Museum

- German Historical Museum (if you visit only one historical museum, this must be it. Dedicate half a day)

5. Re: Pls vet my Berlin itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, April 03, 2013