We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Berlin (and further South) in July

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 97
Things to do in Berlin (and further South) in July

I'm staying in Germany for two weeks starting on 20th July 2012. For the first week I'll be in Berlin for maybe two nights and then another city or two between there and Munich. The second week I'll be staying in the Allgaeu.

I know there is a huge amount to see and do but I'm looking for some help in narrowing down things to see and do in and around Berlin and suggestions of what to do and which city/cities to stop in on the way south.

I'm really interested in the military history of german and of World War 2. I'm also into sports and would like to take part in a race/run if something good was on.

Also into going out to pubs/clubs and music festivals.

So anyone any suggestions for this short itinerary.

Thanks

Oisín

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
1. Re: Things to do in Berlin (and further South) in July

if you are interested inhistory you have to allow more than two nights for Berlin!

I would say split the week between Berlin and Munich (if Munich is a must too), you could easily fill a week just in Berlin (with Potsdam)

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 97
2. Re: Things to do in Berlin (and further South) in July

Thanks for that.

I've been to Munich many times so won't be staying there. I will in the allgau for the second week.

I am thinking of 3/4 nights in Berlin, 2 in Frankfurt and 2 in Stuttgart.

Köln
3. Re: Things to do in Berlin (and further South) in July

If you're interested in WWII you may consider stopping in Nürnberg. You can visit the former Nazi rally grounds and the documention center that was built on it. Whenever there is no process taking place you can even visit room 600 of the palace of justice where the processes against the 3rd Reich responsibles took place from 1945 to 1949. Apart from that there is a medieval castle and a fairly nice Altstadt.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
4. Re: Things to do in Berlin (and further South) in July

Still not sure on this division of time. What are you going to Frankfurt and Stuttgart for specifically? Neither have many historical buildings left nor WWII sites that immediately spring to mind. As Aichberger already mentions, Nuremberg (Nürnberg) has more on that score and is a lot more attractive than the other two to my mind.

I'd suggest more days in Berlin then go straight to Nürnberg. It also has the advantage of being on the direct train route from Berlin to Munich. in fact some timings have you changing trains in Nürnberg even. Great deals on bahn.de if you pre-book.

Trondheim, Norway
5. Re: Things to do in Berlin (and further South) in July

Hi,

Berlin has plenty to occupy you - check out the East German era grownuptravelguide.com/berlin-how-to-cure-os… On this site just click on Destinations-Europe-Germany and you'll find some unusual sights to see and things to do. One of the most interesting WWII places is well worth a trip north to the (otherwise idyllic) island of Rugen - it's a little known Nazi era project that nearly got finished: grownuptravelguide.com/a-crumbling-monument-…

Have a great time wherever you end up!

Cheers,

Andy

6. Re: Things to do in Berlin (and further South) in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, June 18, 2013