We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to eat!

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Argentina
reviews: 1
what to eat!

hi, im new here (ive posted with food questions in each place im going to). i ve read a lot of posts here and it all has been really helpful to organize my trip. Two friends and i are going to berlin on february. we are from Argentina (sorry for my english!). we would like to know what meals, snacks, food in general must we try in berlin. what do you think??

thank you!

Luxembourg
reviews: 30
1. Re: what to eat!

For dessert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_(pastry)

berlin
reviews: 5
2. Re: what to eat!

Breakfast: There are bakeries in almost every corner, serving all kinds of interesting pastries. If you can, don't take breakfast at the hotel/hostel, but each time in a bakery, exploring the different types

Lunch: There are plenty of "ethnic" restaurants in Berlin, and there is of course German food. Typical Berlin meal is very heavy, so consider if it shouldn't be dinner. It consists of some type of pork roast (e.g. the famous Eisbein, which is a pork hip, I think); with mashed peas and potatoes. Also sometimes fish (esp. Hering served with cream and apple, yum!). Not necessarily typical Berlin, but popular enough in the German cuisine to be served in Berlin are all kinds of noodles (Spetzle, Schupfnudel); Schnitzel (real Wiener Schnitzel is made of veal, but of course the cheaper version is made of pork and is much less tasty).Luckily for you, you're going to Berlin - Bremen has the most foul cuisine consisting of mashed meat, served like meals on wheels for people without teeth; and I don't even want to talk about "Harzer Kaese", which is a Frankfurt specialty.

There are several good German and Berlin restaurants in Nikolai Quarter (e.g. Zur Rippe); also try the Bavarian pub/restaurant Weihenstephaner in Hackescher Markt.

Now, the real Berliners, like in every other large city, do not necessarily eat "Berlin Cuisine" out, but rather eat ethnic restaurants. Berlin has a large Turkish minority, and it could be said that Turkish Cuisine is just at home in Berlin: Doener Kebab, Turkish Grill, Lachmacun (Turkish PIzza), Goezleme.

Afternoon: old Berlin ladies like to sit in cafes, eat a nice cream torte, and gossip. One of the best places to do it (if we talk about quality of cakes) is the Opernpalais, near the Staatsoper.

The Germans like their coffee very strong, so be careful if you simply order "coffee" (and not "cappuccino", "Latte" etc.).

Evening/Snacks for Lunch: two typical Berlin foods, except for the Turkish Doener, are Currywurst (sausage drowning in curry flavoured ketchup) and Boulette (meatball).

Also try:

http://gablinger.com/restaurants.html

Another thing you should try is chocolates, e.g. in Gendarmenmarkt

3. Re: what to eat!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, September 14, 2009