We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The REAL Wurzburg hotel prices/rates

Which Wurzburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
reviews: 21
The REAL Wurzburg hotel prices/rates

On a trip to Wurzburg, Germany in early November 2012, we found the hotel rates for many hotels listed on TripAdvisor were HIGHER when you actually went to book online AND were also higher when you tried to rent in person at the hotels. Perhaps prices on TripAdvisor are somehow mistakenly being shown in Euro (rather than USD)? November is definitely not high season, so I would have expected actual rates to be on the low end of what is shown on TripAdvisor... Has anyone else had this experience with German hotels or, more specifically Wurzburg?

To assist other travelers in their hotel search, here are the actual rates we were quoted, in person, for double (2 person) rooms in Wurzburg:

Hotel Meesenburg- Approx Approx. $96 (75 Euro) for a king bed in a pretty small room. $109 (85 Euro) for a double in a bigger room with a better layout. Breakfast included with both.

Hotel Alter Kranen- Approx $118 (92 Euro) with breakfast included

City Partner Hotel Strauss $143 (112 Euro) with breakfast

Hotel Wurzburger Hof- $165 (129 Euro). Breakfast NOT included

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 77
1. Re: The REAL Wurzburg hotel prices/rates

I have found the hotel rates listed on TA to be wildly inaccurate.

Salt Lake City
reviews: 15
2. Re: The REAL Wurzburg hotel prices/rates

Tripadvisor can be a help when searching for hotels in picking up specific details. However, folks can post reviews here without even staying at the hotel.

I like HRS.com for researching hotels. Information is thorough, and reviews must be written by customers who reserved through HRS and completed their stays. I have always found the prices as quoted, except one hotel that decided to give a lower rate for reasons that I did not understand.

There are other hotel reservation sites that are also recommended by many.

Regards, Gary

Denver, CO
3. Re: The REAL Wurzburg hotel prices/rates

Thanks for the tip, Gary. I haven't found as much discrepency with U.S. hotel prices on TripAdvisor as I have found with Europe.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
reviews: 24
4. Re: The REAL Wurzburg hotel prices/rates

The difference may be due to the exchange rate for the day, It can fluctuate quite a bit. There are other things that affect hotel prices too, that have nothing to do with it being Tourist Season. Local events can cause prices to rise.

Since they are located in Europe, it is better to look at euro prices than dollars anyway. People from all around the world come here and most of them don't have dollars. If I came to the US, I wouldn't expect to see euro rates for hotels there, nor would I expect it on TA.

Like Trikist says, use www.hrs.com to find hotels with accurate pricing, and you can switch the currency to find hotel is your price range.

Denver, CO
5. Re: The REAL Wurzburg hotel prices/rates

Bornheimgirl,

Thanks for your input. I had thought that Tripadvisor might get the "normal" average rates from each hotel, in euro, and convert to USD based on the current exchange rate. Some websites identify where the user is located and report prices in their native currency. I thought TA might be one of them. At any rate, other sites seem to be able to more accurately report hotel prices in other countries converted to USD.

I certainly do not expect to see rates in USD while IN Europe....

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 77
6. Re: The REAL Wurzburg hotel prices/rates

I think that the real issue is that other sites (like HRS) are actual booking sites, so of course they have accurate rates. TA is not a booking site, so when rates are listed, they are supposed to be for general info only - is this a $100/night hotel or a $300/night hotel? As such, I don't think TA tries very hard to make sure these are accurate because if you are going to book a room, you are doing it elsewhere anyway.

Vancouver, Canada
7. Re: The REAL Wurzburg hotel prices/rates

Ditto what november_moon said.

8. Re: The REAL Wurzburg hotel prices/rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, December 16, 2013