We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

Which Rothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 112
Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

I'm working on our "Best of Europe" itinerary (mostly by train) and want to include Rothenburg ob der Tauber and the Night Watchman tour, as I've read so many good comments about it. We'll travel from Italy (Venice?) then perhaps to Salzburg then to Munich area. I definitely want to visit King Ludwig's Castles and then would like to include Rothenburg before departing from Frankfurt airport at 2:00 (14:00) on Oct 12. Should we plan to visit Rothenburg on the 11th and spend the night there? Will we have time to get to the airport? Or is there something along the way that would warrant moving Rothenburg to the 10th so we could explore on the 11th, staying the night closer to the airport?

Suggestions appreciated!

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 3
1. Re: Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

Spending the last night in Rothenburg would be doable.

But you have to consider that the train connection from Rothenburg to Frankfurt Airport involves two changes and takes approx. 3 hours.

Especially the first change of only around 10 minutes bears a risk of missing the connecting train and by that a whole hour.

If you can, move Rothenburg to the 10th/11th and stay the last night closer to the airport. If you travel by train you could spend the night in Würzburg. (That would be your second transit station on your way to the airport). From Würzburg there is an hourly direct train to the airport that takes around 1 hr and 20 min. That's what I would do.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
2. Re: Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

> Will we have time to get to the airport?

Yes.

But you could also proceed after the Night Watchman tour (ends around 9pm) to Würzburg, stay there overnight and next morning from there on a direct train to Frankfurt Airport.

You could also travel on the 10th to Würzburg, visit e.g. the Residenz there (UNESCO world heritage site) and do on the 11th a day trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Thus 2 nights in Würzburg, i.e. less moving around with luggage.

wuerzburg.de/en/…index.html

residenz-wuerzburg.de/englisch/…index.htm

A good deal to travel inside Bavaria (Munich, Rothenburg odT, Würzburg) and to/from Salzburg is the Bayern Ticket (Bavaria Ticket).

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

You can check connections using the DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Start: Würzburg Hbf

(to Frankfurt Airport)

Destination: Frankfurt(M)Flughafen

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
3. Re: Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

I had thought about traveling on after the Night Watchman tour but I think we'll be ready for bed!

I see that there's a Eurolines Romantic Road tour bus that runs daily between Fussen and Frankfurt, with stops in Rothenburg and Wurzburg. Looks like those rates are pretty good and would probably be a scenic trip.

Yes, I wouldn't want to miss that first connection. I think Wurzburg sounds like a better stop to spend the night before departure. Do you have any thoughts on when to try to arrive at the airport?

And yes, I've read about the Bayern ticket. I have to figure out our itinerary and see whether we have time for Salzburg. So much to see, so little time!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
4. Re: Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

I meant...figure out our itinerary and see how much will be by train once we arrive either Salzburg or Munich area.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
5. Re: Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

And, so, abalada, you think my connections would be better to Wurzburg, then do a day trip to Rothenburg? It would be nice to stay two nights in one spot at the end of our trip. It's just hard to tell how best to fit things in!

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 3
6. Re: Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

<Do you have any thoughts on when to try to arrive at the airport? >

I took the train from Würzburg to Frankfurt airport a couple of times. For US-bound flights, I always book a train with a scheduled arrival time at FRA of 3 hours prior to the departure time of the flight. That gives a little leeway, even if the train is an hour late. (Yes, that has happened to me on my way from Würzburg to the airport).

Just a few weeks ago I was on a flight to the US at 1:30 pm so around the same time as yours and I arrived at the airport at 10:30 am. (and the train was actually on time). I used to time to get some late breakfast.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
7. Re: Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

"Should we plan to visit Rothenburg on the 11th and spend the night there? Will we have time to get to the airport? Or is there something along the way that would warrant moving Rothenburg to the 10th so we could explore on the 11th, staying the night closer to the airport?"

I don't see the point of wasting time at all near the airport for a 2 pm departure.

I would spend both the 10th and 11th in the "Rothenburg area" if possible.

Near Rothenburg in Bad Windsheim: the most amazing collection original homes and rural buildings from the last 600 years, all disassembled, moved, and reassembled at the Franconian open-air museum.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187294-d2…

It's 45-50 minutes from R'burg by train.

Edited: 2:48 pm, May 27, 2013
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
8. Re: Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

I was thinking about 3 hours ahead of departure might be about right

That museum does look very interesting! Maybe we could do that on the 11th, then proceed to Wurzburg. Will have to map that and see if that might work.

Looking at my map, I'm also wondering if we get to Rothenburg on the 10th, would we have time to do a short cruise on the Rhein on the 11th? If we did that, where would be a good place to spend the night to be able to get to the airport by 10:30 or 11 the next day?

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions. There's so much to consider!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
9. Re: Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

I don't know how much you can squeeze in on the 11th. Depends on how early you get started and your train connections. Last cruise from Bingen north is at 16:30. Personally, I wouldn't bust my chops or cut other stuff short just to get on a boat. If you have just a little time and want to see the most attractive segment the Rhine, you can see it just fine by train in about 22 minutes, the time it takes to travel from Bingen to St. Goar. Schedule yourself from Würzburg to St. Goar via Bingen, arrange to arrive before sundown, and sit by the window.

An ideal town to overnight in would be Mainz - it's about 20 minutes to FRA the next morning by DIRECT train. You CAN stay in one of the Rhine villages downstream, but on Saturday morning there are no direct trains to the airport and will have to change in Mainz. From St. Goar it's 1:40, from Bacharach 1:30. If you choose Mainz, the Ibis is a good option - it's quite near the old town, the Rhine, the Stadtpark, and just one block from the Mainz Römisches Theater Train Station (which makes the trip to FRA a couple of minutes shorter than from the Main station, Mainz Hbf.) Even if you don't make it to the scenic part of the Rhine, Mainz is a very nice place to spend a final evening prior to a FRA flight the next morning.

Edited: 9:19 am, May 28, 2013
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
10. Re: Munich area to Rothenburg odT to Frankfurt airport question

Thanks, Russ. That sounds like a good plan. We could be out and about fairly early, so the train to St. Goar sounds like it might be doable that last day. If we have time to stop and explore a town and/or castle before the return to Mainz, which would you suggest?